USB flash drive malfunctioned? No drivers?

1. Firstly, am new to this site so sorry if this has been posted before.

I have a problem with my USB memory stick. I was using it fine with no problem but now when i plug it in a bubble comes up saying it has not been recognised and has malfunctioned - when i click on the bubble it says unknown device and then when i click on that it says in device status box that no drivers are installed. How do I get drivers? Memory stick was free from an ICT company, laptop is a toshiba?

What do I do, memory stick has so much work on it that I need!

Please help me!

PS...
    Am running XP, my other memory sticks work???
  2. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

I have this issue sometimes with a SDHC card I use for readyboost in Windows 7 on my laptop.

I find that ejecting it via My Computer (right click the icon and eject) or from the "Safely Remove" hardware icon on the taskbar, and then re-inserting it solves the problem and its recognised again.

I sometimes have to do it several times though before it recognises. I'm sure there is an easier solution, but it works for me.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.