Usb Flash Drive/Thumb drives problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Trying to put some music on a flash drive, but I can only use 50% of the drive. Tried three different drives, all are over 1gig, but only can use abou 500mb if I'm lucky.

Any help would be great.
Cheers
:cool:

Thanks for the download, sorted out the flash drive.

Would also like to say thanks for the free trojan that came with it, now my computer is f**ked!!

Mullet said:
Thanks for the download, sorted out the flash drive.

Would also like to say thanks for the free trojan that came with it, now my computer is f**ked!!

W*nker!!

Well, seeing as that file came form a trusted source (PCWorld), and I scanned it with AVG, Norton Anti-Virus and Avast and no trojans were detetced, AND my A/V programs are all up to date, I would honestly say that the trojan that either came from something else you downloaded, or was already existent on your hard drive.

And I seriously doubt that Kimsland would refer you to a program that he personally hasn't tested himself, as he spends a lot of time on this board helping others.

So maybe you need to look elsewhere for the Wanker that infected your drive

Larry

Maybe so, but it was the only file that I downloaded in the last week & just so happened that the day I downloaded & installed it, I got a trojan. It may have been all ready on my hard drive, but I scan twice a week & my a/v is always up-to-date.

I'm sure Kimsland would not have done it deliberately, as his experience in here is much appreciated, but if you can explain to me where I got it from, I would retract my comments.

At the end of the day, I can use my usb flash drives.
:D

larrrardintx said:
Well, seeing as that file came form a trusted source (PCWorld), and I scanned it with AVG, Norton Anti-Virus and Avast and no trojans were detetced, AND my A/V programs are all up to date, I would honestly say that the trojan that either came from something else you downloaded, or was already existent on your hard drive.

And I seriously doubt that Kimsland would refer you to a program that he personally hasn't tested himself, as he spends a lot of time on this board helping others.

So maybe you need to look elsewhere for the Wanker that infected your drive

Larry

Thank-you Larry,

You did a bit of work to confirm the legitamacy of the program.

Before using this link (about 2 Months ago now!) I contacted HP as I wanted to use their FTP link, and they basically refused. So sadly I decided (and informed HP as well) that I would be using "pcworld" (as a general common link)

For the last couple of months in 50% of cases it has worked well. The other 50% was using the manufactures format tools.

@Mullet
I'm sure Kimsland would not have done it deliberately, as his experience in here is much appreciated, but if you can explain to me where I got it from, I would retract my comments.
You mean you WON'T retract them yet ?

I have a number of ideas of where the Trojan may have come from.
But ideally I'd require the Trojan name/description, possibly a HJT log; I'd also like to know all programs installed on your system, and also check your temporary files and event viewer. Let alone contacting your ISP to give me any further history of your Web browsing.

Without a doubt, I'm positive I could work it out.

BUT, to prove this to you first is a waste of my time. Especially seeming you decided to Edit your message and add W*nker!! to it !

If I were a Moderator you would be banned Right Now. As your comments, are totally against TechSpot's TOS here.

First, let's everyone calm down!

I would be upset too if this happened. Shez; go to fix problem A and get infected with B,C,D?
Heck, the the cure is worse than the disease!
Let's show a little empathy and understanding for the big picture.

Everyone also ought to understand the ALL REFERENCES are made in good faith
with the expectation that it really will assist the user. However, as we've all seen,
there's not such thing as absolute security and even Microsoft has had their site hacked.
One day everything is clean and tomorrow there may be one or more trojans or virus'.
That's life on the Internet. You accept the risk of a car accident every time you get
into your car -- face it -- there's risk every time you download ANYTHING.

Mullet: Run Hijackthis and attach the logs and we will attempt to get you straightened out.

Mullet said:

At the end of the day, I can use my usb flash drives.
:D

Kimsland, sorry if you have taken offence to my comments, was a bit cheesed off at the time. Lesson learned, don't send/type comments when in a bad state of mind as they will end up bitting back. As the computer I downloaded it to is a stand alone & I don't really use it to get files for as it is used as a back-up, that's how I knew where I got it from, my other two computers are connected for most of the time. But like I said, I can use my usb drive's now.

What was found over the weekend, which took up most of my weekend, was

Downloader.MisleadApp
&
Trojan.Vundo

It took four different anti-virus programs to narrow it down, I can tell you I will not be paying for norton again, will be looking at NOD32. Spybot ended up getting it off for me in the end.

Mullet said:
Kimsland, sorry if you have taken offence to my comments, was a bit cheesed off at the time. Lesson learned, don't send/type comments when in a bad state of mind as they will end up bitting back. .
Cool, apology accepted (but don't let it happen...).

Happened to be on the tail end of some other issue myself, and that's why I wrote a bit more than normal, so jobeard brought me down to earth with his comments too.

As for the Trojan, I know we're not on the Spyware removal forum. But do a scan with this too, just to be safe:

Download and Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back