USB Flash memory Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I have more than one device attached to the PC through USB the system crashes when I plug in the LG USB Flash Memory Stick. It waits for the little pop up which says it has been found - thinks for a moment or three then crashes the machine - or rather reboots it.

I have reformatted the drive - no use.

Any ideas

Steve

Try this to find an error:

- Right click My Computer, go to Properties
- Go to the Advanced tab.
- Under Startup and Recovery, uncheck automatically restart on system failure.

This should give you an error instead of crashing. A couple questions:

- What operating system are you using?
- Specifically, what devices are plugged in when you insert your USB memory stick? Netcam, mouse, or what?

Technel

You can also try going into device manager and removing your USB ports that way, then rebooting. Perhaps something got corrupted.

How about other USB devices? Do they work properly?

I've seen a few instances of plugging something into a USB port causing blue screens. This of course, causes Windows XP restart.

You can find more at the Microsoft knowledgebase in my signature.

From past experiences, USB devices casuing 2000 or XP to blue screen had improperly installed drivers. It wouldn't surprise me if your USB mass storage driver is corrupted.

Further info on my problem - USB crashes

Thanks for the tips - I'll try them.
This crashing can happen when nothing else is plugged into the USB ports. I believ that it has also happend when I have attached a Flash Card reader.

My thought srae that it is the USB driver that is corrupted. This may have happened when I had two scanners attached - flat bed and slide and the system had a lot of trouble with conflicts at that stage.

My question is how do I reinstal teh USB driver - the update driver in hardware management (is that right) doesn't seem to do it.

Welcome advice

Steve
Cornwall UK

A good way would be to go into Control Panel/System/Hardware, and remove/uninstall anything to do with USB.
Then reboot, XP should find new hardware and freshly install the drivers.
Check your mobo-CD for mobo-specific USB-drivers (or their latest updates).
Also check M$-Winupdate if there are newer USB-drivers.

I have the same problem. My USB (and PCMCIA) memory cards sometime cause a blue screen crash. I tried uninstalling all the USB drivers, and I still have the same problem. Inserting a USB or PCMCIA memory card SOMETIMES crashes my PC. Specifically I get a "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" message. What to do?

Thanks,
Steve

OK, aside from a bunch of text that tells me to "contact my adminstrator", here is the info I am given in the blue screen:

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
***STOP:0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFE8, 0x00000001, 0x8051F18, 0x00000000)

BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL INFORMATION
PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP COMPLETE

PC and PCMCIA? Do you have a laptop or are you using a card reader? You haven't filled in your system specs.

That error is usually caused by bad drivers. You can try installing the latest drivers for your chipset and the memory devices (if possible) from the manufacturer. Drivers that come with Windows are usually out of date.

Also, it may be some other USB device (or any other device for that matter). If you have a USB mouse/keyboard, try with PS/2 ones for example.

Does this happen in Safe Mode?

And you could always run a memory test.

Sorry about the lack of specs:
Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop, Windows XP Home, 512MB RAM

Crashes when inserting either a Sandisk USB flash memory stick or a Sony PCMCIA card reader with a Sony memory stick. Other brands of the same sort crash it as well.

I have a USB mouse but the condition occurs even when I am not using it.

I have not tried safe mode. I will test that - will USB devices be recognized in safe mode?

How do I do a memory test?

I could use this computer indefinately with no problem if I don't use the offending USB for PCMCIA memory devices, but that's not an option.

Thanks for your help!
Steve

You need to boot into a memory test program (download from www.memtest.org or www.memtest86.com).

You should see USB disks in safe mode if they are supported by system BIOS.

How did you remove the USB drivers? It is best to do it in Safe Mode also, choosing to see hidden devices in Device Manager.

And check Dell for latest drivers for your system.

I got the laptop into safe mode, and via the device manager uninstalled the usb drivers, then restarted and let windows reinstall. Prior to that I ran Dells diagnostic app to test the memory. None of this helped. After a lengthy email conversation with Dell, they are sending me a box to ship the laptop to them. They advised that I pull the hard drive and keep it home.

BTW, Dell also had me increase the paging file size and increase free space on my hard drive. That didn't help either.

realblackstuff said:
Surf to xxx and D/L the trial-version of Source-USB. Tells you all about your USB-gear.
If there are any problems, that program will find them.
Realblackstuff, may I ask you how this Source-USB can find any problems?
I installed it, but apart from logging all USB traffic, I can't see what it does (at least it does not give automatic diagnostics, right?). Am I wrong or one needs to be understanding everything about USB to use that thing? :dead:

Anyway, I think I have exactly the same crash as Stevenm. I found other people on other forums who have the same.
Basically, you can run a google search on "XP USB 0x00000050 0xffffffe8" or "XP USB 0x10000050 0xffffffe8" to find related topics.

The crash:
- To give it a name, let's call it "XP USB hot plug STOP 0x00000050 0xffffffe8"
- Happens when pluging a USB device for the second time. The first time usually works fine (though in random cases it crashed too).
- Happens in XP Home Edition (both SP1 and SP2).
- I use SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller.
- My USB controller handles UBS1.0; the crash happens whenever I plug a USB1.0 or USB2.0 device.
- I tried with: a Sony camera (USB1.0), a USB memory key (USB2.0), a RIO USB player (USB2.0). The 3 devices work fine with my other computer (that one runs Win2K). Because of that, I believe this is rather a bug in Microsoft provided USB drivers than in firmware.

Crash report:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
One of the following:
STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFE8, 0x00000001, 0x80515FF4, 0x00000000)
STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFE8, 0x00000001, 0x804EAA95, 0x00000000)
STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFE8, 0x00000001, 0x804DB1B9, 0x00000000)
NB: the 3rd parameter of the crash report is not the same on each machine; for mine, it changed from 0x804eaa95 to 0x804db1b9 when I updated from SP1 to SP2. Other values (I put them here so a search can link to this page): 0x80518706, 0x808097c6, ...

Needless to say that I already ran a memory test, updated/reinstalled the drivers provided with the USB devices, etc.

Any other information welcome.

conclusion (of my own USB problem)

Hi all,

Just posting here in case it can help anybody.

My problem (see previous posts) disappeared after I made a clean install of Win XP (for a separated reason, I had to change my HD :( ).
So my own conclusion (this is my guess) here is:
- this was not a hardware problem (quite sure of that).
- this was a software problem, maybe related to the running services on my machine (and not only to the USB drivers since I had already reinstalled them before, as mentioned in my previous post).
- since I did not upgrade to SP2 (or even SP1) since the reinstall of XP, I cannot tell if this was related somehow.

Good luck for you guys...
k

is your computer USB 1 or 2? If plugging a USB 2 device into a USB 1 port, it may cause errors if it draws too much voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back