TechSpot

USB flashdrive light on

By learninmypc
Feb 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. On my USB flashdrives, they have what I'm guessing is a LED that lights up when its plugged in. On my W7 when I click the safe to remove icon the light don't go out like it does on my XP. Is there a NON registry involved way to change it or am I stuck with it? TIA :)
    Size & name brand don't matter.

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Does the light stay solid on when it's plugged in? And it flashes when you're copying/reading stuff to it?

If yes, this is a 'power' and 'indicator' light in one. You can't turn the LED off unless you take apart the stick.

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,302   +238

Yes & thank you. When I click the safe to remove on my xp, the light goes out letting me know I can remove it. On the W7 it stays on which confused me. Thank you.

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

You can confirm that Windows is 'ejecting' it by having Disk Management and Device Manager open at the same time. Before eject, stick should be visible; and gone after eject.

I have no explanation as to why WinXP turns off the light, apart from maybe it's disabling the entire USB port..? :(

5. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,302   +238

Ok, on my W7, I get a bubble by the notification area telling me its safe to remove it.
    When it first started happening, I'd shut the W7 down to be safe 'n' not sorry.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.