USB Flashdrive questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, i recently bought a Kingston 8 gig data traveler (Flash Drive). i've been working towards getting a program to run off of it and this has gone smoothly. however, the program i am running relies on directories to be consistent (drive letters) i want to somehow get the drive to be recognized as drive "U" (a rarely used drive letter) by any computer i plug into, as to keep the directories consistent.
i know how to go into windows and change the drive letter for that computer but i want to make it so i dont have to do that 90% of the time. so ideally i plug it into a computer running windows, the drive is automatically recognized as "drive U" and i can run the program smoothly right away.
how would i go about doing this? any help would be appreciated, thanks!

-Blake

Hi

you cant do that, windows will auto assign the next available drive letter to a USB drive or similar when you insert it, you can tell windows which letter it should be once inserted using drive management but it will just get reassigned the next letter next time you plug it in.

so if i configure it on one computer that uses windows and i take to another computer that has never seen my flash drive before that new computer will recognize it as the assighned letter from the before computer? or will i just have to re-assign it's letter for each new computer?

You will have to assign it to the correct drive letter when you insert it for the first time on any PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back