USB headphones do not use internal sound cards

By DonNagual
Mar 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Is it accurate to say that usb headphones do not use computer internal sound cards, but instead have their own built in sound cards?

I.e. choose between USB heaphones OR headphones with regular jack and an internal sound card?
  2. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,000   +11

Yes thats right. they have built-in dac or so called soundcard in their usb circuitry. I'd go with usb headphone unless the price difference is significant or I have better soundcard installed.
  3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 3,565

Not too impressed with these USB ones so far.

Corsair vengeance 1500.http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-1500-dolby-7-1-usb-gaming-headset.html

Decent for gaming, which is what I suppose they are designed for, but for listening to music, they're prettty bad. Probably should have gotten an alalog headet with a better PC internal sound card since I like to listen to music a lot.
  4. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,000   +11

You're right, most of the usb headphones in the market are designed for gaming only. tried sound blaster WoW and tactic 3d usb powered headphone a while back, and they doesn't do any good for music.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.