USB Keyboard & Mouse locked up can't fix WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
System: Dell 5150 WinXP Media SP2 No PS2 ports

Problem: System won't recognize USB keyboard and mouse so I can do repairs on WinXP problem

Yesterday, I got an error message telling me that the driver for my tablet was invalid. I wasn't using my tablet at the time, and plugged it in. It worked fine. I unplugged it and figured I'd update the driver later that day.

Went away from the computer for a couple of hours. When I returned, everything was operating in slow motion (took 8 minutes to open Start/All Programs

Tried to start the computer in Safe Mode and got bue screen with the following error message: "Stop: c0000218 Registry Failure..etc"

Went online and found a MicroSoft fix which involved copying system, software, sam, security and default file to a tmp folder, deleting them, then copying them from a repair folder. I got through that and restarted the computer as instructed and then my USB keyboard and mouse stoppped working.

I have tried rebooting from the Dell Win disk. I get to the point where it asks me to accept the license by pressing F8. That key does not work. Strangely. the ESC and the PgIp/PgDn work just fine.

I got the bright idea to copy all the USB driver files (c:/windows/system32/drivers/) from another computer with a clean, recent install of WinXP Media but still no luck. I am guessing at this point that I have to go in and edit the registry, but I have no idea where to start.

The only really good news is that I can read the drive. I took it to another computer and installed it as a secondary drive and backed up all the data files to an external USB drive that I use for backups. So at least all my critical data is safe.

help!!

Other than USB keyboard and mouse connection, does your computer have the round purple and green (PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse) connection ?

If so, on many systems with this fault, you may require, at least, a PS/2 keyboard (and have all other USB out) until Windows is up and running.

Doh!

You may need to run a CMOS defaults (or optimized defaults)

Or reset the BIOS on the motherboard (Manual required)

Can't reinstall WinXP until I get the keyboard recognized

I have tried doing the reinstall, but I have (very) limited use of my keyboard. When I get to the point in the End User agreement where I have to press F8 to agree, I cannot get that key to work on my keyboard. Strangely, the PgUp/PgDn and ESC work fine, but just those three keys. F8 keeps me from reinstalling.

So...I have to get the USB device drivers reinstalled first. Now, I can install this drive in another computer and use it as a secondary drive. So if I can get some specific editing instructions, I can go into the drive and directly edit these files then reinstall the drive in my computer and reinstall Windows.

My first job is getting the keyboard recognized and this means reinstalling the USB utilities.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Actually, is USB enabled in CMOS ?

Also, yes you can install it in another computer, up to the point where it says Setup is restarting your cmputer. Then you can return the drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back