USB Mouse and Keyboard won't wake up from sleep mode in vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty9231

Hi,

I've had this as long as I had Vista, but now I've had enough of it.

This is the problem: Everytime I put my Pc to sleep and wake it up by pressing the power button, my mouse and keyboard don't wake up with it.
Meaning I can't use them. In order to use them again, I need to unplug and replug them both. My system runs MS Windows Vista x64, to be clear.

Any help is welcome, thanks in advance.

Marty

Thanks for the reply..

Service pack 2 is installed, all reccomended and important updates are installed aswell.
The other links were not for my problem.

The problem still exists...

Marty

Hmmm... Try this (if not yet already)

Open Device Manager, category USB Serial Bus Controllers

For every Hub (both Root and Generic Hubs)
> Rt click properties, click Power Management Tab
> Turn off Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

Then re-boot and retest.

Only the 'USB Root Hubs' have the tab 'Power Management', and they were all turned off already.
All other hubs didn't have the 'Power Management' tab.
I took a screenshot, because at the generic USB hub, I think my mouse and keyboard are listed.
But I can't do anything with them.

I didn't notice a screen shot attahed

Root hubs are internal to your computer. Generic hubs are external to your computer.

Try disconnecting all other USB devices and connect the mouse and keyboard directly to USB ports on the computer (not through external hubs or any other external device). Any change?

/* edit */
Also check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

/* EDIT */
Also, please tell me the specific make / model of your computer.

/* EDIT2*/
btw.... this sounds sooo much like a problem reported end of 2008 before SP2 was released. How familiar/comfortable are you with exploring/changing your registry? See A USB device may no longer work correctly after Windows Vista resumes from sleep or from hibernation

I'm guessing (but will have to check) if this KB was included in the SP2 release or if it does/may still apply!

UPDATE! re:
<snip>
I'm guessing (but will have to check) if this KB was included in the SP2 release or if it does/may still apply!

I refer to MS Article: Hotfixes and Security Updates in Windows Server 2008 SP2 and Windows Vista SP2

It provides a download list for: HotFix List for Windows Server 2008 SP2 and Windows Vista SP2 (Microsoft Excel spreadsheet

I discovered the MS KB i refered to (the link i provided in my prior post) is NOT included in Vista SP2. So refer to that MS KB for their instructions (and note at the top of the MS KB they offer a download for the hotfix)

Try disconnecting all other USB devices and connect the mouse and keyboard directly to USB ports on the computer (not through external hubs or any other external device). Any change?

I already have all USB devices connected directly to USB ports on the computer, and the only other USB device usually connected is an USB stick. However removing this didn't change anything.

Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?

Yes, 1 thing: Hamachi Network Interface ROOT\NET\0000 This device is disabled.

Also, please tell me the specific make / model of your computer.

I have no idea where to see the model/make of my computer.. But I have customized it quite a bit since I bought it.

I discovered the MS KB i refered to (the link i provided in my prior post) is NOT included in Vista SP2. So refer to that MS KB for their instructions (and note at the top of the MS KB they offer a download for the hotfix)

This MS KB is for MS Windows Vista x86 based systems, mine is x64.. It didn't work because of that, and I can't open the Excel sheet, because I still haven't installed Excel after my last format. And I'm quite familiar with the registry..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back