USB mouse keeps cutting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jace0207

OK so my optical USB mouse keeps cutting out. I have to unplug it and then replug and sometimes jiggle it around to get it to work. Then it works for awhile, sometimes a few minutes, sometimes for hours before it cuts out again. I bought a new HP optical mouse but it cut in and out too. I also have tried all the usb ports on the back of my rig. I also made sure the drivers for my mouse were current as well as updating the drivers for my motherboard. No idea what to try next. Anyone had a similar problem? Or is it my MB dying?

Yes I got the latest drivers for my MoBo from the Intel site, I didn't touch the BIOS settings, and yes the USB mouse setting in BIOS is set to active.

Stop / Shutdown Windows then disconnect at USB

If you are constantly plugging-in and pulling out USB connections, Windows (assuming you've this O / S) loses the driver(s) for the USB connectors. Because you've "interrupted the service" by disconnecting / stopping a 'running command' to a USB controlled device without using the disconnect tool / stop device button- " Safely Remove Hardware ". When USB controlled devices became available their best functionality over PS/2 devices (keyboard & mouse) was that to begin using the device you did not have to restart the computer to begin using the item, the catch cry was "true plug and play"
You can 'Update' all your USB drivers again by;
<- left click on "Start"
<- left click on "Run"
<- in the dialogue box type "devmgmt.msc" (Win XP pro)
<- left click on the + adjacent to "Universal Serial Bus controllers" to open / display the tree
<- left click on a USB controller where there is no device attached
<- left click on "Update Driver" and follow the directions to one-by-one re-establish each individual USB socket
<- then restart your computer and so long as you don't yank out the device before disconnecting it or shutting down Windows all devices should have P-n-P functionality.
If you need more connections buy a powered HUB?
:) Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back