USB ports makes cooling fan run full speed?

Powah

Hello guys this is my first post in this forum.

I work in IT support, and I came across a problem with someone I work with.

Guy called Tony, had a USB stick in one of his front USB ports on his computer, he accidently kicked it and broke some of the USB off in the port.

He has 2 ports on the front, and now when he plugs something into the one that isnt broken, a cooling fan at the top of the computer goes crazy, and it cant be stopped until the computer is shut down, and the USB doesnt register on the computer.

Is this a problem with wires? Or is it just a problem where the ports at the front need replaing all together?

Thanks!

Is this a problem with wires? Or is it just a problem where the ports at the front need replaing all together?

Hard to say at this state.

By "a piece broken off", do you mean Mr. Tony broke the flashstick so that the USB-male is still plugged in, but the drive itself has been detached? Have you removed the piece which is still inside? (It helps ;) ) - also, which OS is the computer running? This is sort of important, as different OS's works (a little) differently regarding the USB-ports.

Currently, it looks like you simply need to remove that piece stuck inside. Although if that doesn't fix the problem (or if there is no piece stuck inside), then probably a connection or two inside the port broke when the flashstick was kicked - resulting in a need for changing the entire port :( .

Hard to say at this state.

By "a piece broken off", do you mean Mr. Tony broke the flashstick so that the USB-male is still plugged in, but the drive itself has been detached? Have you removed the piece which is still inside? (It helps ;) ) - also, which OS is the computer running? This is sort of important, as different OS's works (a little) differently regarding the USB-ports.

Currently, it looks like you simply need to remove that piece stuck inside. Although if that doesn't fix the problem (or if there is no piece stuck inside), then probably a connection or two inside the port broke when the flashstick was kicked - resulting in a need for changing the entire port :( .

Yea, he accidently kicked it while walking past it -.-
There is still some bits stuck inside, but not all of it.
I think hes the only one in the office that actually runs Vista. Usually I would just go in and change it without a problem, but he uses different machines to everyone else due to graphical work, so repair would be expensive, I did phone the company that put this particular computer together, and they said they would have to replace the WHOLE case, which seems a bit extreme to me!

Thanks for your help :)

Hello guys this is my first post in this forum.

I work in IT support, and I came across a problem with someone I work with.

Guy called Tony, had a USB stick in one of his front USB ports on his computer, he accidently kicked it and broke some of the USB off in the port.

He has 2 ports on the front, and now when he plugs something into the one that isnt broken, a cooling fan at the top of the computer goes crazy, and it cant be stopped until the computer is shut down, and the USB doesnt register on the computer.

Thanks!
Well, there's always "Plan B". Power down the computer, and cut the wires off the offending USB socket. Just don't allow any of the leads to touch, and tape up the ends when you're sure the wires won't be forced together by the tape. (Stagger the cuts). Either that, replace the case, or make the guy that broke it spring for a USB hub.

In fact, make the guy that broke it, spring for a USB hub anyway.

Well, I went and got all the bits out of the broken port, the pins are a bit bent, so I made sure that they wasn't touching each other before I left.

I mean, if this really annoys him i could just go and chop the wires, but I wouldnt really want to do that in a hurry haha.

Any other suggestions appreciated, but if not, then thanks anyway :)

Unlug the broken one from the mobo and replace it with a pci usb card if you have a spare socket.

Back