USB ports stopped working completely

By Throwing Stones
Jul 23, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this but if I hadn't shaved my head, I would have been ripping my hair out by now.

I used a "mass storage device" for my SD card to put pictures from my camera onto my PC. This always worked fine until that one fateful day... I plugged it in and a bobble came up saying it exceeded the limit the device. Didnt know what this meant since I honly had a few pictures on the card. I removed it, and put it in again, this time it sorta freaked and the bubble popped up twice, I tried removing it again, but it wasnt responding and eventually froze my computer, so I pulled out the device and rebooted.
    Upon restart i noticed that the device wasn't being read at all when i plugged in...
    so I went to check the device manager...but the mouse wasn't working, or keyboard, or anything else i tried to plug into the USB ports.

device manager says "device is working properly" for all 5 ports, but no device ever gets read when i plug it in. no light on the device comes on, no bubble, no nothing.

I deleted the USB root hubs and restarted, they reinstalled, but no devices work.
    I went into power management and made sure that "allow my computer to shut this device off to save power" was OFF... still no luck.

I ran some Belarc Advisor on my computer and it recognized all the USB ports.

I don't know what else to do
    ..can anyone help??
  2. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.