USB Ports Unusable

piefries

I'm not sure where I should be posting this within the form so I'll start here.

Here's what I have:
System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20201030155612.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 12 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 918 GB (737 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 07KY25, ver A01, s/n /17YG4L2/CNWS20081D028I/
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n 17YG4L2
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Here's my dilemma:
The two USB ports on my computer are no longer functional and it occurred after some of the latest Microsoft Windows 10 updates.

In order for the drive to be visible I have to insert a thumb drive into the USB port. When I click on the link to that particular drive this window pops up:
1607264691470.png

So I take the thumb drive out of USB Drive (E) and place it in the other drive and get the same results.

Whatever has caused this makes the USB drives unusable.

Where do I look to attempt to rectify the problem?

Thank you!

Thank you for your solution. Unfortunately of the ten USB sticks I have none of them work in either port. Of the ten USB sticks there are three different manufacturers, so I don't believe they are the cause. Again, thank you!

I can say what I would do but cannot claim to be an expert. Go to Device Manager via Control Panel and look down the list until you see the USB Root Hub entries. (An easy way there is to type Device Manager in the search box in the Task Bar - right next to the Windows icon. ) I'd right click those entries and uninstall the drivers. If you then restart the computer Windows will reinstall the drivers. As the ports aren't working you've nothing to lose.

Back