Usb ports will not recognize devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambcohen

I have a client who has a gateway 818gm and none of the usb ports see devices. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drives. Tried to update them as well, also reformatted the os. Looked into the bios seems it is working. However, it will see an ipod, but that is it. Can not figure out what is going on????
Adam

That Gateway has an internal cable that connects the USB to the card or the motherboard. Look for a loose or disconnected cable... or a damaged one.
But A PCI USB card replacement should work fine.

We tried that and could not find anything wrong. The front usb do not work either. I know I can do a pci card, I was curious if the end result is just a bad mother board? With that being said I also think one of the pci slots are bad too. It is a MSI board, have you heard anything bad about them?
adam

The USB ports are a separate component in an MSI board. Track them down backwards to see if you can find the source... look ate the schematics for the MSI board. There is nearly always a link.

Nothing wrong with MSI boards... I am typing on one now.

Have you checked your BIOS thoroughly to see if anything has become disabled?

It is every odd to lose all USB.

That is what I thought as well. I will have to try that. I know the fronts are connected traced them back. However the rears I saw nothing that they were connected by a wire. Looks like that they are linked directly to the motherboard.
adam

I looked over the site you sent. I am going to have to look back in the bios and see if I missed something. I do appreciate your help. Also, found out that the motherboard on this gateway pc is oem. MSI would not help me out.
Adam

uninstall all USB drivers and then power off

connect the unrecognized device to the USB port (make it ready if it's powered)

power on the system and login

auto-discovery should take care of it all

If you haven't check Device Manager to see their respective Properties box. Most often the first thing checked for trouble in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back