TechSpot

USB problem

By ANN HUMPHRIES
Jan 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I recently used my USB in work. When I returned home and tried to use it on my home computer a message told me that I would need to format the USB. Have I lost all my work; is there a way of retrieving it?

2. monton

monton TS Enthusiast Posts: 147

Did you perform a "safe" removal? PC? MAC?
    I've had 2 Patriot USB drives that did the same thing. There was no recovery of the data. I reformatted the drives but they failed shortly after. They were very lightly used and carried in a protective case. So, I guess, try to recover the data with something like RescuePro or search downloads for data recovery tools and if you do reformat the drives I would suggest not using them as the sole repository of your data.

3. TheHawk

TheHawk TS Enthusiast Posts: 192   +7

Hi Ann. I agree with safe removal of USB devices, even when they have been plugged in and not used for a period of time. From which pc did you create your work, and is it still saved on one of the pc's?. If you don't have the work saved elsewhere, I would try Recuva from Piriform below.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.