USB Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've posted this in the right section, but if I haven't, I'm sorry, new here.
Anyways, here's my problem:

It's started with my USB mouse. I was using it when suddenly a message appeared in my tray saying a USB peak was detected or something, I really didn't pay attention. But my mouse stopped working. Whenever I unplugged it and plugged it back it, it says 'USB Device not reconised'. It's the same on different computers, it just stopped working.

Now, I thought this was a one time event and I replaced the mouse. Now, I plugged in my printer (Also in a USB port. HP Deskjet 5100 series.) and I left the house for a while, leaving both my laptop and printer on. When I got back and tried to print something, it didn't work. My laptop acted like my printer wasn't plugged in at all. Even when I manually turned the printer on (everything still works, the computer just doesn't detect it) I couldn't get it to work. While I was out of the house that USB peak detected message could have popped up, I'm not sure. All I know is that my printer is now also broken, seeing as it doesn't work on any other computers either.

I think both appliances where plugged into the same USB port when they stopped working, but I'm not sure. I've no clue what's causing this, but I sure would like to know how to fix it, seeing as I'm just getting a PSP, one I'd like to connect to my laptop and I would appreciate it if my PSP doesn't end up like my mouse and printer.

Hope you can help and thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I don`t know what has caused your usb problem, but it seems likely that a power spike of some sort has ruined your mouse,and printer.

I advise you to take the laptop to a qualified technician.

Deffinitely don`t connect anything else to the laptops usb ports.

Please let us know the outcome.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back