USB storage drive not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm using a Windows XP Home Edition SP2, LG laptop, and since last night, wenever I plug my Kingston USB drive in, I get nothing, except for one "USB not recognized"(or sumthing like that) when I plugged it into a different port earlier today. The notification disappeared after that and I even checked Disk Management, still nothing. Re-plugged it, nothing again. Same with another port.
I plugged it onto my Windows 7 lap as well, but there was absolutely nothing there too, no notification, and nothing in Disk Management. I used it on two diff ports on an XP desktop; the first one had the "USB not recognized" but that vanished too, again nothing on Management, and re-plugged a few more times, again(as expected) nothing.
What happened last night was: my USB drive's windows explorer was open and it suddenly closed. I kept on plugging it in, and yeah :(
A few months ago I got the "Removable Disk" when I connected it at times and coun't open it. Once I finally got it, I did a Norton scan and yeah, some viruses, and everything was fine then.
I kinda haven't used my Windows 7 lap in a while(which has Norton), and the LG I've been using had a trial anti-virus since i've been using it, but expired jus last week, and I got out of the habit of scanning with the LG long time ago, and now can't check at all bcuz Windows 7 lap doesn't detect it.
I'm kinda worried - my sista's had to get a new one cuz it wasn't being detected as well(long time ago). I'm not really a techie, so I'd really appreciate it if you could go step-by-step with me. Thanks :)

I tried that, but for some reason, I get a "--is not a valid Win32 application"

Then either:
> You didn't copy drivecleanup.exe into C:\Windows\system32 OR
> You;re not typing the right command into the command prompt window. Type
Code:
drivecleanup.exe
Are you entering the command .exe extension as well?

I guess it must be something of my LG's then, since when I tried it on my other laptop, it worked, except after the "removing USB device--"etc, etc, instead of "Removed *such and such*" entries at the end, it was something like a "Did not remove *such and such*" I guess it must be something wrong with the USB itself then. :(

I guess it must be something of my LG's then, since when I tried it on my other laptop, it worked, except after the "removing USB device--"etc, etc, instead of "Removed *such and such*" entries at the end, it was something like a "Did not remove *such and such*" I guess it must be something wrong with the USB itself then. :(
Did you actually unplug your USB disk and CD/DVD storage devices from their USB ports before running the tool? The tool will only remove drivers for USB storage devices that are no longer present (i.e. it won't remove a driver if it can still detect the device is plugged in)

yeah, I did unplug everything, all that was left was the battery charger
1) A very basic question (but to be 100% certain) when you say you unplugged everything but the battery charger... did you, in fact, remove every usb cable from the USB ports (except USB mouse, keyboard and USB network adapters are OK to leave connected) as it's not just a matter of ungplugging AC power cords (if that's what you might have meant)

2) If (after removing all the USB cables) you STILL see can't remove messages is very odd. You might copy/paste all the messages into your next post. (On top title bar of command window rt click Edit->Select All then Edit->Copy and paste into TechSpot post as i'd be at least curiouis to look at it if it's saying "Can't remove"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back