TechSpot

USB Wireless vs. PC card Wireless

By danieljackson12
May 17, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay so heres my question as i'm in the market for a new wireless card but i was debating weather i wanted a card or not. As there are is an alternative its known as a usb wireless adapter which is suppose to do the same thing as the cards but my question is are there any differences or can i get either one?

in case you have no idea what i'm rambling on about heres the two choices

wireless USB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127081

Wireless card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833117204
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

All I know is, with a USB extension lead you can sticky tape the USB Wireless adaptor higher up the wall. But Computers tend to fall off (lol :) )

Actually I did't check the distance on both, but I suspect the PCI card goes further.
    Maybe check that out.
  3. danieljackson12

danieljackson12 TS Rookie Topic Starter

well the thing is i already compared the distance and the packaging says they have about the same distance but i was wondering if anyone had actually used the usb one to know if it was any worse or better than the pc card:) thanks anyways though so no one has used these things?
  4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

USB wireless is good, but much slower than directly installed wireless on a card or onboard.
  5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Yes I've got one of those USB wireless adaptors (came with the router)
    Basically wireless is over rated all together, I put it as high as I could, and still it only managed one room away. So I went back to direct ethernet (through a few holes in walls !)
  6. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TS Maniac Posts: 480

I have two machines connected wirelessly that are separated two floors (linksys g router in cellar; PC's on second floor of house with USB Wireless Adapters. A few years ago, I was planning to have the house wired and was steered to wireless (back then it was 802.11b) and it worked so well, I never bothered to get around to having the house wired. They stream music and play a few games on the web, but are not hardcore gamers.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.