TechSpot

Use of my 4 female pin S-video cable

By ankitasmember
Apr 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have a S-video cable with 4 female ports on other side..
    I know that it is used to connect TV to PC .
    But i have got a new set top box for my TV that box only have audio and video composite cables to connect/...
    so i was wondering if i could connect it to my PC then i could play and record TV on my PC.by connecting composite cables to my S-video cable's female ports.
    give me an idea if i could connect it or not....and why if not?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,494   +292

Very unlikely that you can do that right now. Mainly because its doubtful you have a card that can take video input. Then also, because if your box doesn't have s-video, you can't use that cable.

Traditionally you'd need a TV tuner card, but since you are going from a TV box to a computer, you don't really need the tuner part, you just need something that can handle the input. If you have a desktop PC you can get a PCI card. If you don't, or just want it more portable there are several USB devices that will work. This should get you pointed in the right direction: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...y_slc.asp?CatId=1428&name=USB Capture Devices

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.