TechSpot

Userinit.exe / Format HD

By Neddles47
Aug 13, 2008
  1. Hello first post here

I have an acer Aspire 5670 would tell further specs but my virus seems to prevent me from opening most things in control panel to find out what they are

Couple weeks ago tried to turn my computer on and get a message saying

userinit.exe - Application Error
    The Application failed to intitalize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application

i got as far as getting the task manager open running explorer.exe and am stuck to go from there

I decided to not worry so much about fixing that virus but reformatting my hard drive it is partioned so i formatted one but cannot format the other drive and wondering if the virus would prevent me from reformatting the hard drive

all my files are backed up so i am ready to start fresh and clean

any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

Why not boot the install cd again, remove BOTH partitions, then format over the entire drive to be sure and then do your install?

After that, you could, I assume, buy a partitioner and partition off a section if you feel that is necessary.

3. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,634

CCT, I do not know if this is what he is doing, but I have 2 hard drives just I do not loose programs to install and documents and information from programs I use continuously which makes makes the D: drive a great backup so I reinstall any time I want and have every thing back up in less than 2 hours where if I did not it would take days to have every thing back up.

4. terminator911

terminator911 TS Rookie Posts: 35

Please clarify, do you have 1 or 2 HDDs?

If only 1 then delete all partitions on it, recreate, format & install your OS. You should be fine then.

5. Neddles47

Neddles47 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have one hard drive partitioned into 2 i cleared one already and am prevented from formatting the other

i want to keep the partition just because i find that an easy way to have my computer organized

how do i go about formatting the other one and installing the operating system?

6. CCT

So, you formatted C:\ and have you reinstalled the OS there?

Or what?

7. Neddles47

No i have C and D

D was more of a backup drive with all my files on it that is formatted

it will not allow me to format C right now

8. CCT

9. Neddles47

So if i format my C: drive using this bootdisk how to i go about getting XP back onto my computer?

10. CCT

You insert your XP CD in the cd/dvd drive and boot from it and start from there. All the W98 disk does is provide a 3rd party method to format the C:\ drive when it is stubborn.

11. Neddles47

since my computer came already installed with XP im guessing im going to have to buy a XP cd or is there an easier way of aquiring one that anybody knows of

12. Neddles47

I got the boot98se file from bootdisk.com now my question what do i have to do with this file to put it on a cd or can i only do floppy to be able to format my hard drive

13. CCT

I know you CAN use it, I have a floppy one - you'll have to research that (although making a bootable cd etc isn't that hard).

gl

14. Neddles47

what do i have to do to the

boot98se file so that i can put it on a cd to put up safely and format the hard drive?

do i just drag that file into the cd and burn it?

15. terminator911

terminator911 TS Rookie Posts: 35

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.