Users rage against Microsoft for integrating 'buy now, pay later' app into Edge

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Microsoft has worked wonders in its efforts to turn around Edge's ailing fortunes in recent times, but users are far from happy about the browser's latest feature: integration with a buy now, pay later app called Zip (formerly QuadPay).

Microsoft announced plans a few weeks ago to build the Zip app directly into its Edge browser. The short-term financing service gives users the option to sign up on checkout pages when they enter their credit card number. It also appears as a prompt on a web page in some cases.

Zip appears when Edge detects you're about to buy something priced between $35 and $1,000. There are no up-front payments, and it's all interest-free—you just make four payments over six weeks. Zip charges $1 per payment, adding $4 to the total cost, and while that's a good deal when paying $1,000, it's an extra 11% when buying something for $35.

Edge users have the option of selecting Zip as the default payment method and can link their Microsoft accounts to the loan company to speed up the application process. Microsoft writes on its support page that any merchants who do not wish to use the service will have to contact the Redmond firm to opt-out.

Ars Technica notes that the Zip integration has not been welcomed with open arms by everyone. "I don't want it. I don't even want the shopping and discovery features y'all have pushed out. These kinds of things should be separated into extensions," wrote one user. "Please stop turning all these things on by default, or at least give us an option for a 'Core' experience that is basic browsing features plus the security enhancements. As it stands right now, I spend about 5-6 minutes making sure that all the extra crap is disabled whenever I set up Edge on a new computer or move between channels."

Another reviewer wrote: "You're starting to overdo these third-party integrations and services. This is just sleazy, Edge is on the verge of feeling dirty to use."

Microsoft, a company worth over $2 trillion, said it "does not collect a fee for connecting users to loan providers" but refused to say if it received other forms of remuneration from loan companies.

In addition to what appears to be greediness on Microsoft's part and the fact that this is adding more bloatware to Edge, there are also security concerns around Zip's addition. Moreover, it has the potential to land some people in financial difficulties.

Microsoft made Edge a much more appealing prospect when it officially moved to a Chromium-based version last year, but nagging Bing alerts and third-party integrations haven't helped its cause. Microsoft also made switching to an alternative browser in Windows 11 more difficult, and blocked a tool that redirects Edge links in its latest OS.

Permalink to story.

Windows 11 is on track to being the successor to the Windows Vista and Windows 8 line: universally loathed with lots of people intentionally never upgrading or attempting downgrades if it comes by default.

It's sad that it isn't as much for technical or design reasons this time around and it's purely due to their uncontrollable, disgusting f***ing greed.

I don't understand. This is a feature they're *testing*. So just tell them you don't want it, and they'll remove it. That's what testing is for.

If many people actually like it, it'll stay. In which case you'll have to face the fact that not everyone has the same opinion as you, and you'll be forced to just simply.... not use it.

Boo, case is solved, magic!

I don't understand. This is a feature they're *testing*. So just tell them you don't want it, and they'll remove it. That's what testing is for.

If many people actually like it, it'll stay. In which case you'll have to face the fact that not everyone has the same opinion as you, and you'll be forced to just simply.... not use it.

This is comedy gold.

It's not about being a feature that you can refuse to use or not, it's about what you will allow these companies to add to your OS. It will get progressively worse with time.

I'm not seeing it (considering the lax terms). Why does this matter to people who will never use the feature?
The USA is all about buying on credit, so this fits the culture perfectly lol

You remove Edge from your computer and you remove all that crap too.
This. I've been doing this with Internet Explorer and Edge for decades. Microsoft's browsers, ironically, have no business being on a PC.

Smart people remove them and use alternate browser.

I have been happily using edge for a while now but this could easily get me to stop.
Do so. USe something that respects your privacy and personal rights, such as FireFox.

Windows 11 is on track to being the successor to the Windows Vista and Windows 8 line: universally loathed with lots of people intentionally never upgrading or attempting downgrades if it comes by default.
This is not true. Windows 11 has it's problems, true, but it is in no way as terrible as Vista or 8.

Ugh. I switched to Edge after the chromium upgrade to distance myself from Google products, but Microsoft has quickly become just as bad.
Microsoft was always worse. Google might be guilty of data-mining, but it's all anonymized and they just want to advertise to you. Microsoft openly harvests personal data.

Last edited:
I wish they would go back to writing software you pay for and not follow Google and Facebook etc whose insidious business model pretends to give you something for free then bends you over.

Or at least have two versions - the 'Free' edition which chews you a new one and a version you pay for, which is an OS with no spyware, ads, shovelware etc. I'm dreaming I know....

Microsoft keeps undoing all the good work it's put into Edge
What else would M$ do? I bet they adopted Chrome because they knew it would meet their spyware needs with a minimal effort!

I bet the majority of complainers wouldn't have even noticed had it not been MS. What's the difference between this and what Amazon, Newegg, E-Bay or any number of merchants integrate into all of their pages?
Besides, most tech savvy people will likely be using a differnet browser anyway,

Last edited:
Yep, just another great reason to delete Edge ..... they might as well installed a loot-box ....

Why cant microsoft just stick to it's core, doing a OS... And instead of bringing in bonzi buddy into it's OS as a form of telemetry and what more... this stuff shoud'nt appear in browsers at all.
Because they can't make enough money to remain one of the most valued companies in the world without doing that. Honestly, as one of the few Firefox holdouts, I'm just perplexed at the people angry with Microsoft, if you don't like it just change your browser, they should have known their poison when they picked Microsoft's browser.

Good. I mean, it's really good for Micro$oft finally cast self doom to its own struggling browser. Infact I would encourage them to incorporate as many similarly ridiculous features into it. The more the faster the better.

And no, don't worry, they couldn't try to deeply integrate the browser to the OS. They have learned expensive lesson from that.

This. I've been doing this with Internet Explorer and Edge for decades. Microsoft's browsers, ironically, have no business being on a PC.

Smart people remove them and use alternate browser.

Do so. USe something that respects your privacy and personal rights, such as FireFox.

This is not true. Windows 11 has it's problems, true, but it is in no way as terrible as Vista or 8.

Microsoft was always worse. Google might be guilty of data-mining, but it's all anonymized and they just want to advertise to you. Microsoft openly harvests personal data.
I have a very hard time believing that anyone, besides maybe Facebook, collects more non-anonymous data on you than Google.

Last edited:
Back