Using a previous HDD

NTAPRO

I would like to use my old hdd, which contains files from a windows vista os on the newer pc that has windows 7. At the moment I don't have any enclosures so I'm wondering if there's an alternatively easy way to use it with the pc without much trouble

Hey NTAPRO. Your newer Win7 system should have both SATA and an IDE interface,so depending on what type of interface your Win7 system is using for the boot drive, I would connect the old drive accordingly (make it a slave if your Win7 boot drive is IDE). I would then copy the files needed, then either keep the old drive in place or mount it in an external enclosure and in either case, format the drive and use for storage.

The newer PC probably doesnt support IDE, so you may have to transfer the files via the old PCs HDD to a USB drive then to the new PC.

NTAPRO's post is so vague at this point answering anything reasonable is an acceptable response even though it may be totally incorrect advice if further details develop.

The guide in my signature has some solid guidelines to follow to get better, more helpful answers.

Haha sorry, my attention was focused elsewhere while writing. I'm not two knowledgeable about this newer(refurbished) pc. Last time I opened it, I noticed that there was only room for one connector for the hdd, and the case couldn't fit another one. I'd at least try cloning my current hdd with windows 7 on it, but my external isn't very reliable and I haven't been able to return it yet. I figured there might be an easy way to take out the current one and use the old one. I had a thought that I could try changing to the windows vista hdd and if I came across an error (which I think would likely happen) I could use a cd or something similar to repair the system and boot up my old hdd with no problems, and then when I wanted to switch again, I could try the same process. Was just an idea though.

NTAPRO's post is so vague at this point answering anything reasonable is an acceptable response even though it may be totally incorrect advice if further details develop.

The guide in my signature has some solid guidelines to follow to get better, more helpful answers.
Phenomenal guide (y)

Haha sorry, my attention was focused elsewhere while writing. I'm not two knowledgeable about this newer(refurbished) pc. Last time I opened it, I noticed that there was only room for one connector for the hdd, and the case couldn't fit another one. I'd at least try cloning my current hdd with windows 7 on it, but my external isn't very reliable and I haven't been able to return it yet. I figured there might be an easy way to take out the current one and use the old one. I had a thought that I could try changing to the windows vista hdd and if I came across an error (which I think would likely happen) I could use a cd or something similar to repair the system and boot up my old hdd with no problems, and then when I wanted to switch again, I could try the same process. Was just an idea though.
You could buy a USB/eSATA dock... Gives you more flexibility in accessing drives than an external enclosure, but they aren't as easy for taking to another computer.

Then with the dock, you could clone the drive.

I'll just have to save up for those then. I don't have any way to acquire one and probably will not be able to anytime soon. Thanks for helping me out

Back