TechSpot

Using AOL on a Android Wi-Fi tablet

By dg110270
Nov 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I currently use AOL on a desktop pc with no problems. I purchased a new Toshiba Android 4.0 tablet and want to run AOL software on it. How do I get AOL loaded on the tablet? I tried to just go to aol.com from my browser and clic mail then sign in but the format of my mail page is different in a bad way. Awkward to use. It does work but very awkward and I can't find a way to attach a photo to an email.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 902   +39

As far as I know, you can't run Windows program directly on Android. As for your browser issue, have you tried going into Settings > Advanced, then check the box by "Always Request Desktop Site"? Another option to replicate desktop look and feel on your tablet is use remote desktop software. My Asus tablet comes w/ Splashtop and with that I can remote control my desktop while I'm on the same network.

3. dg110270

dg110270 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 35

I'll check out the settings you mentioned. Will that Splashtop work away from my home network if I connect the tablet by WiFi thru another network?

4. Rabbit01

Yes, it's doable, but that requires a subscription. From the Support page at Splashtop's site:

5. dg110270

Thanks again. I'll do some research.

6. Rabbit01

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,123   +1,523

I wish I knew more about Android. :(

AOL does have apps designed for Android, http://mobile.aol.com/apps/Android/. I'm don't know if the link will help or not but thought I would mention it.

8. Rabbit01

9. dg110270

Thanks guys.

10. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Two ways to do it. download directly from googleplay (preferred method) OR download from googleplay onto a PC and copy the android executable over using an unlocked phone. (more tricky and you have to know what you're doing.)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.