TechSpot

Using AOL on a Android Wi-Fi tablet

By dg110270
Nov 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I currently use AOL on a desktop pc with no problems. I purchased a new Toshiba Android 4.0 tablet and want to run AOL software on it. How do I get AOL loaded on the tablet? I tried to just go to aol.com from my browser and clic mail then sign in but the format of my mail page is different in a bad way. Awkward to use. It does work but very awkward and I can't find a way to attach a photo to an email.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Evangelist Posts: 760   +54

As far as I know, you can't run Windows program directly on Android. As for your browser issue, have you tried going into Settings > Advanced, then check the box by "Always Request Desktop Site"? Another option to replicate desktop look and feel on your tablet is use remote desktop software. My Asus tablet comes w/ Splashtop and with that I can remote control my desktop while I'm on the same network.

3. dg110270

dg110270 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 20

I'll check out the settings you mentioned. Will that Splashtop work away from my home network if I connect the tablet by WiFi thru another network?

4. Rabbit01

Yes, it's doable, but that requires a subscription. From the Support page at Splashtop's site:

5. dg110270

Thanks again. I'll do some research.

6. Rabbit01

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,123   +2,589

I wish I knew more about Android. :(

AOL does have apps designed for Android, http://mobile.aol.com/apps/Android/. I'm don't know if the link will help or not but thought I would mention it.

8. Rabbit01

9. dg110270

Thanks guys.

10. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Two ways to do it. download directly from googleplay (preferred method) OR download from googleplay onto a PC and copy the android executable over using an unlocked phone. (more tricky and you have to know what you're doing.)