Using Canon DSLR to retrieve data from CF

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseM

I made a scan directly from the scanner to the CF card and now I realize I don't have any way to read the card except my Canon EOS 1D-MkIII and 40D cameras. When I explore the contents of the CF card with the camera tethered to my computer, the scan doesn't show up. I'm pretty sure only the images taken by the camera show up. Is there any way to get this [.jpg] scan to my computer using the camera? Thanks!

I assume when you connect the camera to your computer it looks like an external disk drive when you explore it? Can't you copy/paste the files from the camera to your computer?

I don't have a card reader, and my laptop only had an SD reader.

When I connect the camera to my computer it appears as the camera, not a removable disk drive. Is there a way to force the camera to get into the CF as if it was removable media and not a camera?

Thanks LookinAround, but the manual doesn't mention importing files that were not created by the camera (unless I missed it...). I'll try installing ZB and see if that can help.

EDIT: ZB was of no help. It just directs me to EOS utility, which only shows photos taken by the camera.

Hi JesseM

Hmmm.. Well, let's try it this way...

1. I assume you connect your camera to a computer USB port?
2. Before connecting click to open Computer and look at the list of disks and removable drives.
3. Now connect your camera. I'm going to guess you see a new disk appear in My Computer?

If yes, then just browse the disk that appears using Explorer

If don't see anything new in My Computer, then try the above again but this time looking looking to see if a new disk appears in Disk Management. (Rt click Computer->Manage->Disk Management and note the list of disks in the lower pane)

Hey, I'm away from my camera/desktop so can't check in practice. Could you try and right-click on the camera that shows up in Explorer and select "Open" or "Explore"?

Yes, I have already tried that. The compact flash card shows up, but only the folders created by the Canon camera show up ("MISC" and "DCIM" I believe).

It is a possibility that the scanner didn't even save a file on the card, but I think that would be odd, seeing as no errors were given and the scan seemed to go through fine. Of course now I don't have access to the scanner, let alone the negatives I scanned.

Maybe next I'll try some sort of memory card data recovery software, but I'm not sure it will run through my camera either.

That is a possibility that nothing got recorded. If you got to the list of directories, you should be able to see any files on the device, not only the ones created by the camera. If you move all the pictures off the camera, check how much free space you will have on your card. You may get at least some indication if anything else is recorded on it. (Not sure how big is your scan file.)

Yea... i'm also thinking that if it's on the card it should also be seen in Explorer

Re: Recovery Software.. Check if that "drive" appears in My Computer after you've rt clicked the camera to Explore it. Then you can point the recovery software to that "drive" to try recovery

If you can check memory usage, and know or can also check how much room your photo's are taking, it might show a discrepancy. Probably won't though.

Camera is only going to show those two folders. Common among most digital camera brands. In the DCIM folder is where the camera uses to store it's folders. Are you trying to scan images from a scanner into the Camera CF card? Does this Camera and the CF card work in XP computer. Try other systems that are not using Vista if you can. Take the camera over to a friends house or library or even a Wal-mart has photo system card readers that you can use for free to see how your images look before you purchase prints. I would do that and see if it can read your CF card.

2.4MB out of 16GB is being used on the card, which could potentially be solely attributed to the formatting of the camera, or could include the scan. I tried on a Vista computer (all I have access to at the time being) and got the same results as with my Win7 machine.

Alright, thanks everyone for your help. At this point I'll just see if I can get my hands on a card reader of some kind. Take care!

Camera is only going to show those two folders. Common among most digital camera brands. In the DCIM folder is where the camera uses to store it's folders. Are you trying to scan images from a scanner into the Camera CF card? Does this Camera and the CF card work in XP computer. Try other systems that are not using Vista if you can. Take the camera over to a friends house or library or even a Wal-mart has photo system card readers that you can use for free to see how your images look before you purchase prints. I would do that and see if it can read your CF card.

@tipstir
I think a camera might only show limited folders when viewing the CF content using the camera's standalone viewer. But when using Explorer (and not the cam's browser) to browse camera storage media over a USB connection (as this case) I'd be surprised if one isn't exploring the storage like any other USB Mass storage device (i.e. one should be able to see everything on the Windows formatted storage device)

/* edit */
But the above not withstanding, i'm still for JesseM giving everything a shot! :)

I just gotta try it at home today just to confirm the theory that explorer will see everything on the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back