Using one network card to view office DVR

Amigosdefox

Hello.

At the office where I work there are two different phone lines each of which has a DSL contract. On one of the lines there is a dsl modem/router which has a dvr connected for the security cameras. I use the other router to connect to the internet and for the local network (sharing files with colleagues).
When I view the security cameras over the internet using the router I connect to the image is really delayed. I want to connect to the DVR vía local network with one network card so that the image is not delayed and use the other network card for the file sharing and accessing the internet. How can I do this without creating a conflict? I.e. having my computer try to connect to the internet using the network card for the dvr.
In summary I want to use one network card exclusively to view the security cameras and another network card for the internet and file sharing.
I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium.

Any help would be appreciated.

You should be fine as long as the Internet NIC is plugged in first. Your routing table will confirm you have done it correctly.

jobeard can expand.

Thanks for the reply. Would I need to reconnect the cables every time I turned on the computer or how would I guarantee that the internet card was the first one to be detected?

You describe this setup
Code:
(setup-1)
DSL -=- Modem/Router
		  |
		  | (path-a)
		  PC
		  | (path-b)
		  |
DSL -=- Modem/Router ---DVR
but I think you can see that this would be much easier
Code:
(setup-2)
DSL -=- Modem/Router --- some PC(s)
		  |
		  +--- switch -- DVR
Regardless of wired or wifi connections, setup-1 is complicated - - how does the PC determine to use path-a or path-b? It's in the routing table, but that depends upon which router is available first when the PC is booted (or connected). More than one PC is possible on setup-1 in either path-a or b by using a switch, so the lack of connections on a router is not the reason to choose setup-1.

Yeah, setup 2 is generally better. Although, I have worked in a small/med business and understand the need for a separate DSL connection.

You could always patch the adjacent wall port to the 2nd network, and just unplug network cables from your machine when you wanted to watch DVR. Tiresome, yes...

Also keep in mind a modem with teaming function.

Back