Using one screen for two computers

By midnighttiger
Jan 15, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all,

First I'll explain my setup. I have a desktop PC with two monitors attached to it, and I also have a laptop. All these are sitting on the one desk, the laptop is to the right of both of these screens. What I want to be able to do is use the middle screen for both my laptop and my desktop PC, so I can drag windows from my dekstop OR my laptop on to that screen without having to change any settings to switch from lappy to desktop. I've tried things like KaVoom's software KVM, but all that does is mirror my laptop screen.

[​IMG]

Cheers.
  2. midnighttiger

midnighttiger Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 17

Sorry about the stretching there, I forgot to remove the extra white bit in paint :S
  3. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

If your monitor has two inputs, for example 1 VGA and 1 DVI, plug one computer into each. Most likely your monitor will have a button to select the input, and you can just press that to switch between the computers. This is what I do, but with two desktops, instead of a laptop and a desktop. After the laptop has been plugged into the monitor, you will have to go to Display Properties, and set the desktop to extend to the monitor, instead of mirroring it.
  4. midnighttiger

midnighttiger Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 17

Thank you =) I'll run down to the shop and grab a cord, seems I don't have one in my giant box of useless cords >.>
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.