Using wi-fi broadband via S60 phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor_hv

Hi guys, I know it's not really PC related, but I know the people here are the best when it comes to help.
I plan to buy Nokia 5800XM soon and I have a question about wi-fi connectivity.
I use wireless internet at home, I have an outdoor antenna which is connected to a D-Link AP to which I connect my PC via LAN cable and I connect to internet from my PC using a PPPoE connection with username and password given by the provider...
now, the network is filtrated by MAC addresses but I turned DHCP on my AP and I can use it to connect via laptop, also using a broadband PPPoE connection...
I tried my friend's N95 and I could not connect it to internet, it connects to AP but there is no internet...
Is there a way to set up such a connection on the phone or I have to buy a wi-fi card for my PC and create my own wi-fi network and use that to go online with the phone?
It would be great if the phone could connect directly to their AP's since I would be able to use internet wherever I go...
I hope that the point of the question is clear and you will give me a good answer before I do the shopping...
thanks

You need a router between the modem from the IPS and the AP to which your wifi devices connect.
That will allow multiple devices to share the single IP addresses controlled by the ISP.
You would get new LAN addresses for all devices and the sharing comes via the NAT feature of a router.

Hi guys, I know it's not really PC related, but I know the people here are the best when it comes to help.
I plan to buy Nokia 5800XM soon and I have a question about wi-fi connectivity.
I use wireless internet at home, I have an outdoor antenna which is connected to a D-Link AP to which I connect my PC via LAN cable and I connect to internet from my PC using a PPPoE connection with username and password given by the provider...
now, the network is filtrated by MAC addresses but I turned DHCP on my AP and I can use it to connect via laptop, also using a broadband PPPoE connection...
I tried my friend's N95 and I could not connect it to internet, it connects to AP but there is no internet...
Is there a way to set up such a connection on the phone or I have to buy a wi-fi card for my PC and create my own wi-fi network and use that to go online with the phone?
It would be great if the phone could connect directly to their AP's since I would be able to use internet wherever I go...
I hope that the point of the question is clear and you will give me a good answer before I do the shopping...
thanks

Could you clarify a few points:
1. I believe your end goal is to be able to get internet over your Nokia 5800XM phone?
2. Who provides the internet service you connect to today from your PC?
3. I haven't looked at the details of the Nokia 5800XM but i'm thinking mobiles are typically setup to connect to the wireless signal provided by your wireless cell phone carrier and not through your own AP through your home internet service.
4. So could could clarify just whose AP and wifi signal you're trying to connect to?? As if you're trying to connect to your wifi signal from your mobile carrier you can only do that through them. If you're trying to connect to your own home AP... i don't think your phone is equipped to that. But if you first clarify can double check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back