uTorrent or BitTorrent

Status
Not open for further replies.
you are better off WITHOUT EITHER :)

the *Torrent systems allow uncontrolled uploads which then expose you to
every virus or trojan that anyone has uploaded.

AntiVirus software will not inspect these as they come it bits and pieces and thus
will not find the villains.

Do yourself a BIG favor -- forget Torrents :)

I like Utorrent but just be careful. If you use the Wyzo browser, it handles the torrent downloads for you so you don't need either software (BitTorrent or Utorrent)

What he said:
you are better off WITHOUT EITHER

AntiVirus software will not inspect these as they come it bits and pieces and thus

Do yourself a BIG favor -- forget Torrents

If you really must know, there is hardly a difference.

but if you becareful of what your downloading it shouldn't be a problem.

for example i always look at the feed back of the torrent before i click download

Utorrent may have a better UI, and have a lighter system footprint, but there is probably little speed difference.

I've been using Utorrent for years, literally and NO virus problems. Uploads can be throttled which I do and limited to whatever bandwidth you want. I set mine to 15k. As a matter of fact if you must do filesharing, torrents is the best and the safest way to go. I used to use Azureus which is a resource hog. Utorrent is the lightest and best (IMO) client. Bit torrent may have been improved to closely match the features and performance of utorrent.

I haven't had any problems either. Of course, I'm not really that bothered since I use a separate machine dedicated to downloads, and I have weekly backups, not to mention another PC with IPCop installed to act as a firewall + VPN gateway.

So unless you're stupid enough to use uTorrent\LimeWire or any other file-sharing program on the same PC you keep your personal info on, without any serious security in place, viruses and trojans aren't that big a deal. Also, almost every torrent I've downloaded has been virus-free so far, mainly because I look at the uploader's reputation and user comments before bothering to download it.

Saying torrents as a whole put you as risk is like saying connecting the Internet or browsing the web is just as bad, that's my take on it.

As for a preferred client, a long time ago I used to use BitComet but then dropped it to uTorrent and I haven't looked back ever since.

The default BitTorrent client used to be plain and good, really simple, too, but I like to have more control so I chose an alternative client. I haven't checked the latest version however.

So unless you're stupid enough to use uTorrent\LimeWire or any other file-sharing program on the same PC you keep your personal info on, without any serious security in place, viruses and trojans aren't that big a deal. Also, almost every torrent I've downloaded has been virus-free so far, mainly because I look at the uploader's reputation and user comments before bothering to download it.

Ditto, I do have it on a separate PC. Not to mention my AV will usually pick up anything as it is saved on the HD. In addition if I suspect something I will manually scan it before I open it.

The new BitTorrent client seems very "inspired" (for lack of a nicer-sounding alternative to rip-off) by uTorrent IMO.

Not bad though; it's far better than that resource-hog called Azureus\Vuze.

A few years ago, BitTorrent was slow as dirt trying to dl/ul the same files you would use on uTorrent, so BitTorrent was a waste of time. I think BitTorrent acquired uTorrent, hence the similarities. I've been using uTorrent for years and I think it is excellent.

My preference is uTorrent. I've been using it since 2005 and nary have I had a single problem with it. I used to use BitTorrent and one of my friends got me onto Ares, but it's pretty clear that uTorrent was by far the better option so I use it more often than Ares itself.

you are better off WITHOUT EITHER :)

Do yourself a BIG favor -- forget Torrents :)
I think it's wrong. we can control the uploading files.
U torrent is better than Bit torrent. He is a way that How to Limit your upload. you can Limit it as 1Kbs
This is the way
Add a torrent add right click on that particular torrent
Move the Mouse pointer to "Bandwidth allocation" menu it will show a menu in that menu there will be a menu "Set Upload Limit". There will be many upload rates. U should select a speed which is very minimum. it depend on your torrent file. after that, again u do what did u before. This time right click on the torrent which u already set the upload limit. select "Bandwidth allocation" then select "Set Upload Limit". This time u will see a minimum Limit which will be lower than what did you see before. So, do it again and again until u set the Limit as 1Kbs. U can set it within 5 or 6 times as 1kbs. Check it and Reply

How are you going to get a virus uploading? The only way I am aware that something nasty can get on your PC is by downloading it. Besides, that is not cool limiting your upload speed to 1 kb/s when you are downloading yourself as fast as your ISP will allow. I upload with no limits and I think everyone else should too and I don't believe I will get infected this way.

How are you going to get a virus uploading? The only way I am aware that something nasty can get on your PC is by downloading it. Besides, that is not cool limiting your upload speed to 1 kb/s when you are downloading yourself as fast as your ISP will allow. I upload with no limits and I think everyone else should too and I don't believe I will get infected this way.
Good ethics ftw? I had a 4+ share ratio, but now i'm lazy, everyone gets downloaded fast enough (nothing illegal!), and i hesitate to leave it running in the background all the time, so now it is >1.5.

I go for a 10 to 1 ratio. I have cable internet, so I achieve that in a few days or less. If you are going to take, I say give back to the community in abundance to keep it going.

I like uTorrent, and have been using for several years now. It has an very light footprint.

As far as getting virus's from torrents, just be careful what you download, and use sites you trust when you get the torrent file, and read the comments on the file. If the torrent has been around a while, and there are lots of seeders/leechers, and no comments about virus's, I would guess its safe. But its still good to have anti-virus to scan them with.

Well stated. You should scan everything you download for sure from torrent sites. I use the major ones like Pirate Bay, Demonoid, & IsoHunt, so people will comment if they find trojans.

uTorrent uses very little resources as TorturedChaos stated, so it is excellent for optimizing multiple downloads simultaneously. I downloaded one torrent the other day that was only slightly slower than if I had downloaded the same file off the internet using max bandwidth.

One needs to be careful while downloading torrents since they could contain a virus.i always read the comments before downloading,it has helped me in many cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back