UXTheme patch allows viewing of third party themes, but not using properly?

By hellokitty[hk]
Dec 10, 2008
  1. UXTheme patch (versions 5.5 and 6.0) allows me to recognize third party themes, but does not correctly apply them. It does let me see and select third party themes, but when I try change to that theme, all I get is the basic windows classic theme. The sample screen beneath the theme selection drop down also shows up a black screen with a random fragmented blue line were the top bar of the "active window" would normally be (included in attachment "strange blue bar for active window o.o.jpg"). Some themes get:
    *EDIT: I think these themes are corrupt or something, they don't seem to work on any computer, explained in more detail later.*

    "The theme could not load because one of the needed theme files could not be found. This can happen with themes that are not installed or authored correctly. You should verify that the wallpaper, screensaver, icons, sounds, and other files are in the correct location.

    Theme: C:\WINDOWS\resources\Themes\_____.theme"

    Of course, ive checked and replaced themes but to no avail.
    Yes, i did follow the install instructions properly, older versions which existed at the time have worked on all of my older computers perfectly.

    *Strangely it seems every single theme except the themes which are in use have all corrupted somehow, or they don't work on any computer i have tried which is not limited to my own, they get the "Theme could not load...not installed or authored correctly...blah". I have no idea about the time frame because I don't often change themes but as soon as I decided to look into this problem on my current computer, i noticed this on the rest of my computers.

    I have downloaded additional themes, those simply go to the windows classic, I think this applies to the non corrupted themes.

    Running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2
    Spectre 24" 1920 x 1200

    Sorry if i am jumping around, and thanks i know it was kinda long.

    EDIT: Manual UXtheme.dll replacement has worked. I tried this before with the same results but this time it has actually worked. Some of the themes are still messed up, but some previously messed up ones are now working.

    Thank you hamesh (
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...