TechSpot

Valve becomes latest investor in The Linux Foundation

By Russ Boswell
Dec 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Valve is nudging Linux towards bigger and better things by becoming one of the latest companies to support The Linux Foundation, a non-profit consortium that is dedicated to growing the Linux brand. The operating system is used in 98% of the...

Read more

2. If I wanted to start using a Linux OS, where would I start? Aren't there like a lot of variations in that OS? If there is a specific OS to use, what would that be? Thanks!

3. @ previous guest: Valve is making their own Linux Distribution called Steam OS. That will likely be your best option if you want to game. Otherwise Ubuntu is officially supported by their Steam Client. I'm anxious to see more gaming and driver support by developers. :)

4. @guest (first) - Personally I like Lubuntu, which is a less resource intensive flavor of Ubuntu. Lubuntu uses the LXDE desktop environment which IMHO looks more like the traditional Windows appearance (hence it should minimize the learning curve a little).

5. EClyde

EClyde TS Booster Posts: 214   +27

I like Zorin.

6. EClyde

The biggest thing holding linux back are the users. They are not all snobs but enough are that newbies leave rather than deal with "google is your friend" and other "do it yourself, I did" answers. Good Luck to Steam

7. EClyde

Ubuntu default setup is something akin to Windows 8 these days. I don't like it at all

8. Try out Ubuntu its grate for beginners

9. Yes, there a lot of variations, just like cars. But, they all contain the Linux Kernel (engine).

How do you pick a car? You research it. A nice beginners distribution would be Linux Mint or Elementary OS. Look at them on the web to see which one you might like.

10. Start with UBUNTU linux its the best one for beginners.

11. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

But if you need MS Office functionality or want to game on it, forget Linux.

12. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 411   +79

Nope. Linux Mint is what you need.

I would now like to brag about my tripple boot. Windows on default and the choice of Linux or Hacktintosh

13. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,978   +390

I tried several linux distributions and found that ubuntu was the easiest to learn on. Not the easiest to use, per say, but the easiest to learn linux on. And I stick with that.

14. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Booster Posts: 336   +49

As many have said already the best distro to start with is Ubuntu, its very mainstream and has a lot of support internally and through the forums and wiki. From there you learn a lot of the similarities with linux and can start experimenting with all the different distros to finally pick the one you like the most that offers you everything you want.

15. Linux mint 16 is polished. best ubuntu alternative but not annoying and slow.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.