TechSpot

Valve beefs up account security with Steam Guard

By Matthew
Mar 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Valve has announced a new security measure for Steam that should help safeguard accounts being hijacked, which is apparently the service's number one support issue according to Valve boss Gabe Newell. Called Steam Guard, the feature takes advantage of Intel's Identity Protection Technology (IPT), a hardware-based security technology that exists in second-generation Core processors.

Read the whole story
  2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

And what if I want to log in on another PC? If the second PC doesn't run a Sandy Bridge system it won't have IPT so I won't be able to set it as an authorized system.
  3. lchu12

lchu12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 199   +9

Well at least they are making an effort. I would say it does make it one more reason to get a newer computer, if security is an issue.
  4. tacobfm

tacobfm TS Rookie Posts: 59

This is why intel doesn't play fair.
  5. herpaderp

herpaderp TS Enthusiast Posts: 159

"Sandy Bridge owners will be able to link their Steam account to a specific PC and will be notified if any unauthorized PCs attempt to gain entry. "

Read it again? Sounds like an OPTIONAL feature, as in, it can probably be toggled, might include whitelist feature, who knows, wait for more info before jumping to conclusions......

Yes, damn them for trying to increase user security!
  6. princeton

Uh I didn't jump to conclusions. I was simply saying that if I do enable it I'll have an issue if my other pc doesn't use sandy bridge.

Looks like you're the one jumping to conclusions about what my comment meant.
  7. herpaderp

herpaderp TS Enthusiast Posts: 159

lol forgot to finish edit before answering the door xD
  8. princeton

How? AMD could easily have done it but they're too lazy to get new cpus out.
  9. wiak

wiak TS Rookie

10. Kenrick

Kenrick TS Rookie Posts: 17

This is a nice security measure. Many online gamers will like these feature. Well, if only i have a sandy bridge cpu. I'm still in core duo :-(.
  11. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Valve, now with Steam Guard! It's got a catchy sound.

And what's with the sinister black cat and his two haz mat clad minions taking photos at the crime scene? And the pong on the laptop? Weird. All you need is a midget speaking backwards and some plaintive music.

12. @princeton it says you will be NOTIFIED not locked out. Potentially it makes a list and e-mails it to you, if you notice weirdness in your log it gives you the ability to changed action, ie change your password etc.
  13. yRaz

yRaz TS Booster Posts: 907   +94

I always love the steam images

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/c...daily/5139a79c/comic_english.png?t=1290717070
  14. So, then, this effort affect virtually no one? Great.
  15. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

Its a good effort,but then does everybody out there have a sandy bridge?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.