TechSpot

Valve co-founder Gabe Newell publically addresses layoffs

By Shawn Knight
Feb 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Yesterday brought rumors that Valve may be preparing extensive staff cuts after the company fired Jeri Ellsworth the day before. One site said they confirmed that several employees had been let go – as many as 25 – in what...

Read more

2. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

It's never a bad thing to lay people off and get fresh talent in the company. It increases innovation. I just wish other companies did this... *coughEAcough*.
    If the reason wasn't publicly released, something really bad must have happened such as the group was caught collecting screenshots for Half Life 3 (which will never be released)

3. ^^ if want fresh talent by laying off current workforce then gabe need to fire himself first.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,178   +764

I like the way these gaming big knob's pander to the gaming public by always saying "gamers come first". Yeah, right... Money comes first, the rest is just lip service.

spencer likes this.
  5. spencer

spencer TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

If It was gamers first then the pc would have exceptional ports and support linux and utilize computers to their full extent

6. Buster Keaton

Buster Keaton TS Rookie Posts: 19

You have it backwards. When a company takes good care of it's customers, they don't have to worry about money. It will come.

7. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Maniac Posts: 585   +79

Sounds like politics related. usually when you see this kind of so called "great cleansing" is either because a group of employees broke company policy, or regime change. since the regime hasn't changed, it only leaves one guess, that those guys collaboratively broke the company policy. but by doing what is anyone's guess.

I work in the HR.

8. texrat

texrat TS Rookie

You're missing the obvious sarcasm in his post.

9. texrat

texrat TS Rookie

On a serious note, the roles of released people LOOKS like the traditional exodus of staffers wanting to start a competing business. Of course Valve says differently, but it does make me wonder...

10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Sarcasm notwithstanding I really have no gripes with Steam probably because I've had very little dealing with them. I've only registered my Steam games & downloaded patches.

11. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Sorry but having a job at a company isn't a right. Stop treating it like it is.

12. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,949   +381

Im trying to figure out how gabe newell has hindered the PC gaming industry in any way as the above people have implied.

13. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

Or, Valve could stop pissing away money on a guaranteed to be horrendous, straight to DVD, straight to bargain bin movie and use the staff they're planning to get rid of to make a new Half Life or Portal game which will soak up money like a sponge.

14. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 225   +6

It was probably a bunch of devs etc who were working together to steal and sell insider knowledge?

15. Skidmarksdeluxe

I doubt whether it's quite so clandestine. The reasons are only known to themselves and they're not talking at the moment.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.