Valve confirms user data was stolen in Steam hacking

By Leeky
Nov 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Valve has confirmed that the attacks on its forum late Sunday, which included its defacing before it was taken offline, extends beyond just user account details and includes personal information…

Read the whole story
  2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

I feel like I should have gotten an e-mail about this from Valve. I shouldn't have to read other sites to find out about it.
  3. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 869   +8

i got a notification within steam it self.
  4. lchu12

lchu12 TS Booster Posts: 195   +9

Same here, I got an notification from Steam itself.
  5. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 819   +52

I havent logged into steam for a few days. Valve should have sent out an email about this.
  6. gwailo247

No, I got nothing from within Steam. But still, they shouldn't rely on that, an e-mail is needed.
  7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

I got a popup as soon as Steam launched last night.
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Maybe your account wasn't compromised, if you didn't get a notification.

I just loaded Steam and didn't see a notification either.
  9. Yup, I received a popup in Steam immediately when they sent it last night. No worries, everything was encrypted, they won't be able to decrypt it... Even if you used the same password on your Steam account, well assuming you enabled Steam guard, no one will be able to enter it.

My Steam username is: mike77 , my password is: 2Elm_treE34

If you try to login it will request the verification code that will be sent to my email. My email has a different password. Good luck.
  10. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 159   +12

guest trust too much...
  11. gwailo247

I logged off and logged back on and it finally popped up. And I can get 10% off Jurassic Park!

Win and Win!
  12. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,322   +263

My steam password and my email password are different to begin with and I already have SteamGuard enabled, but for good measures I'll still change my password on steam and keep an eye on my bank statements (though I think I've always used paypal, but I can't remember).
  13. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

An e-mail would've been nice but still props to Valve for actually sharing this information and not sitting on it for weeks before coming clean. I use SteamGuard and different passwords for pretty much everything like most here, but I guess changing them now wouldn't hurt.
  14. I wonder if any SONY haters are here right now.? hhhmmm! Goes to show when a person digs a hole hoping for other companies to go down, they better dig 2.

Who's lol now? Hackers are criminals. I hate them same as I hate mosquitoes.
  15. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

ROFL - I really enjoyed this quote.

16. @motrin: I guess you never watched that video where Gabe gave out his account name and password, showing how confident he was in Steam Guard's effectiveness.
  17. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +93

At least give us a free game after we bend over for you, Steam.
  18. That was only meter of time until some thing like that happens.