TechSpot

Valve considering Steam for iOS, Android

By Emil
Mar 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A user on the Steam Powered forums who calls himself Political Gamer recently had a chance to check out Valve's headquarters as part of an interview. He took notes; here are his main points (although we'd like to point out that the whole story is definitely worth reading):

Read the whole story

2. vipor231

vipor231 TS Rookie Posts: 31

hmm android is run by linux so im wondering now if steam is really coming to the linux os finally

3. The linux in android and the linux desktop are very different platforms though.

4. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

5. I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert but from what I understand Android uses just the linux kernel and not necessarily all the other libraries and such that make up a traditional linux desktop. This is also why you can't simply run any Android app on say Ubuntu. This link may help. http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/How-Much-Linux-Is-in-Android

6. That will be a sad day indeed ,if it occurs.
    Can you imagine the wasted data use when you have to sign in to Steam every time you want to use your aps.Sure they will say there is an offline mode,what a laugh that is.I live in the country so I have 3g+ and I blew 500 megs of data on a supposedly off line mode of Civilization 5.

Steam does not recognize you versions of Angry Bird please sign in

Bam ,pay your phone provider for overage on your phone data plan

7. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 981   +31

I agree with Emil, a game delivery platform for phones would be nice. Sony will have its own, but that would be limited to certain phones.

8. BlueNoser

BlueNoser TS Rookie

Steam = Extra money to your isp

9. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

Let's just see Steam for Linux already. Focus on Macs when they can right click.

10. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 958   +114

Most mac owners don't run dual boots. Although, it'd be nice if I didn't have to dual boot.

anyway, I think this will be interesting to see as we can only speculate on what it would be like.

11. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

I know I'm a little bit ill today, but when did I mention dual booting?

12. It is very unlikely that steam will make it to iOS. The Appstore licensing and acceptable use prohibits application from downloading and installing outside of iTunes. Kongregate tried to have an iOS app that allowed iPad/pod/phone users to run their flash game. Apple forced them to stop. This is why you will never see Steam on iOS.

13. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I imagine the experience will be very limited on iOS.

The apple app probably will allow users access to steam services to get information and maybe even make purchases by jumping to website. But I doubt installing apps as Apple is sure to block this... unless they work with apple.

I imagine the Android version could have the best implementation. But who knows what kind of parity the different platforms will have.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.