TechSpot

Valve experimenting with biofeedback to improve gameplay

By Shawn Knight
May 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Game developer Valve is currently researching a number of different methods to innovate in the industry – thinking outside the box, if you will. Chief among them is collecting biofeedback that can be used to determine how a player is...

Read more

2. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 982   +97

Gaming with eye movement? No thank you. Valve, please stick to monitoring sweat levels, okay?

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,026   +913

I give props to Valve for thinking of something different.

4. Kunming

Kunming TS Rookie Posts: 43

I sure as hell hope it'll be very voluntary participation in whatever
    biofeedback schemes they or anyone else comes up with. More data
    being stolen from users and archived, is not what we need more of.

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,116   +1,523

So for security systems that requires a scan of your eye, Valve wants a real good image of your eye to circumvent this security system.

I doubt what I just said to be the case, but in the world we live in, nothing I mean absolutely nothing would surprise me.

6. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

Your post reminds me of the Apple story where people found out that Apple stores everything you say to Siri. I highly doubt Valve is going to use the information to take over the world like Apple is planning though.

7. This type of games already exists in software called Calmlink - www.calmlink.com It uses the Galvanic Skin Response (sweating) instead of eye movements.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.