TechSpot

Valve games now available through digital distributor Impulse

By Leeky
Feb 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Digital video game distributor Impulse, now owned by GameStop, has announced a new deal with developer and publisher Valve that will see some of the company's most popular PC games…

Read the whole story
  2. Justgivemeaname

Justgivemeaname TS Rookie Posts: 37

I may be missing the point, but why would valve choose to sell their games on another digital distribution site when they already have the most used and highest rated digital site and platform out there?
  3. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 636   +117

Because the games still require steam to play. Impulse customers who buy valve titles likely don't have steam. This way they have to use steam which means they will now be seeing steams catalog of games and weekly deals and will likely become a steam customer over time. So in the end they are drawing in new customers and getting paid to do it (from the valve titles sold through impulse).
  4. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

@justgivemeaname Gamestop sells retail copies of Valve games so it only makes sense for them to carry it digitally too. Both parties have more to gain than lose from this deal imo, even though from the outside it looks strange. However I doubt this will mend fences with PC gamers who got burnt over the years by Gamestop.
  5. TekGun

TekGun TS Enthusiast Posts: 158   +13

Gamestop still aint getting my money.
  6. Can't believe I'm saying this, but Steam sold out... yuk.
  7. I'm not buying anything from Gamestop...
  8. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

Sold out??? This is a very smart move, putting some Valve recognition into a predominantly console business. And still requiring STEAM to actually download and run the games means the potential of new customers being exposed to (and subsequently hooked on) the STEAM platform & library. They already sell the box versions on the shelves of Gamestop, how is leveraging their competing Impulse system to garner more sales in any way selling out? It won't affect STEAM's methods or operation at all, simply opens up another avenue for sales.
  9. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

How does one sell out if the product was already released and is not affected by these actions?

Holy cow, if Valve keeps its games to itself everyone yells, MONOPOLY, if Valve puts their games on another platform, SELLOUTS.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.