TechSpot

Valve launches Steam Mobile for iOS and Android devices

By Matthew
Jan 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. After years of begging, avid Steam users will finally be able to access Valve's gaming platform on mobile devices. The company announced yesterday that Steam applications for both iOS and…

Read the whole story
  2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,232   +79

I'm throwing money at the screen and nothing happens
  3. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 635   +116

Valve doesn't sell mobile games because apple wouldn't let them on any of their devices. Perhaps on Android but the apple devices have a large chunk of the market and it may not be worth it to just develop for android devices.
  4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,496   +304

I had downloaded the app litterally minutes before this was posted. I am entered into the beta, I really hope they choose me, I love steam :)
  5. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

That's kind of true, but the problem is more subtle than that. Valve themselves could design and sell any games they want on iOS. The problem is that they would only be allowed to sell them through Apple's app store. Steam can't exist on Apple because it's technically a directly competing digital delivery system. Even "streaming game" sytems like OnLive will likely have some issues, which may be why it's taking so long to get approved for the iPad - if Apple feels it will impact their app sales, or that they are being shut out of outside sales or subscriptions that are part of an app, they get all testy... It's a business, after all, and a very lucrative one. Can't blame Apple for their protection of the revenue stream, but that doesn't mean we have to like it. :)
  6. Oh yes, make my PC World of Goo available for Android and I'll love you forever, Steam.
  7. I wish it were 2nd Gen compatible.
  8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,463   +622

World of Goo IS on Android. :D
  9. Android devices hold a larger market share than iOS devices.
  10. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

This is very interesting... Steam powered pocket rockets.
  11. MCJeeba

MCJeeba TS Rookie Posts: 26

We're all screwed. Bye bye, positive bank balance.

12. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

I got in the beta. It's does everything Steam does except play games. lol

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.