TechSpot

Valve: Portal 2 is "the best game we've ever done"

By Matthew
Mar 12, 2010
  1. Excluding a few bumps along the way, Valve has largely won the hearts of gamers everywhere. The developer has delivered one hit title after another and its online distribution service Steam is immensely popular. Despite the success of its previous games, Valve says Portal 2 is the best yet.

Read the whole story

2. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 551

This does look pretty dam good. (I hate to point out that this news is over 12 hours old, but u are a US site, ur prob just got out of bed ay!) I for one cannot wait for Portal 2. I am a big fab of Steam and digital Distribution. I have taken the CD drive out of My PC as I don't use it! (and its makes a noice for about 3 seconds when I switch PC on)

3. levar

levar TS Rookie Posts: 232

Steam is doing great! Looking forward to play Portal 2 sooo badly! Would be awesome if they released another orange box in the future with Portal, TF2, LFD2 ooohhh I'm getting excited. I'm still waiting on this month's gameinformer issue. I'll be sure respond back again with what I think once I've read the issue. Portal was soo fun and frustrating I bet this'll make me want to kill myself xD I still have not passed Portal, quite playing bc I could get passed a level and sold it.

4. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ..

this game has a really nice concept, i would have bought the Orange box but still don't have a decent PC for gaming & read a lot of bad things about it's PS3 version...

will check out this one off steamy site ...

cheers!

5. seefizzle

seefizzle TS Enthusiast Posts: 137   +31

Portal was one of the single greatest games I've ever played. I cannot wait for the second one. I wish all games inspired such nerdy joy in me.

6. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Wow, if it really IS better than Half-Life 2, then I think I may have a new favorite FPS. I'm getting it regardless, but I am really anxious to see how the story relates to or is different than the rest of the Half-Life world.

7. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Definitely going to get this shortly after it comes out. Portal was indeed one of the most unique and creative games ever designed. Anyone who is curious about its origins should go download and play Narbacular Drop. I thought it was very interesting to see portals origin and how they developed and matured the concept.

Link to Narbacular Drop: https://www.digipen.edu/fileadmin/website_data/gallery/game_websites/NarbacularDrop/

8. natefalk

natefalk TS Rookie Posts: 78

Now I'm going to have to play the first portal game... too bad my list of games I have to play is already way too long. I've heard good thing about Portal; I just haven't had a good enough computer to play. Thankfully I just got a Radeon 5870 so I think I should be covered ;)

9. DryIce

DryIce TS Rookie Posts: 60

I cannot wait for Portal 2! The first Portal was one of the best games I have ever played. If you have not played this game, you have missed a lot.

10. alexandrionel

alexandrionel TS Rookie Posts: 94

Guys....you made me curious about Portal and Portal2. Until recently I didn't know anything about them.

11. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

If anyone can live up to the hype it's Valve and I hope Portal 2 brings something entirely new to the table. If this is the best they've ever done I can't wait =D.

Games from the Orange Box are not very demanding, this isn't BFBC2 or Crysis :) . Source is a very PC friendly engine and I'm sure you can run the game just post your specs in the gaming forum and we'll let ya know!

First Person Action Puzzle Game! Not a shooter =P .

As mentioned above this game is not very demanding but ya a 5870 will blow this game out of the water :) . It's definitely worth your time to play it considering it only takes about 3-4 hours to complete. Quick tip: when playing don't think only in linear terms ;) .

Check it out, its an awesome action puzzle game that wont disappoint imo.

12. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,371   +406

I have to admit I haven't played the original Portal, but know it's in "Hall of Fame" status with many, many gamers. I do have the game, just haven't installed it. Guess I better get rolling so I can be ready for Portal 2. :)

13. I really enjoyed playing Portal and cannot wait for Portal 2. They should release it now so I can play it.

14. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 850   +11

Well I played about 1/2 way through portal at a friends house and liked it. Going to have to check out Portal 2 when it comes out. :D

15. fwilliams

fwilliams TS Rookie Posts: 97

I want to play this game on Linux, I hope they finish the port of Source and the Steam Client over to Linux.

16. chuchu232

chuchu232 TS Rookie

Portal a test bed? that's one of my favorite games! If this is how it compares to the second, I neeeeeeeed that game!!!!

17. jasonk1229

jasonk1229 TS Rookie Posts: 58

cant wait to play this I lvoed the first one

18. Portal was a truly great game. But Braid was even better; quite simply the best and most intriguing game I ever remember having played. If manipulating space was the basis for Portal, manipulating time was for Braid.

19. Recipe7

Recipe7 TS Enthusiast Posts: 142

I didn't know Portal was that great, I guess I have to catch up before Portal 2 comes out!

20. thebluemeaner

thebluemeaner TS Rookie Posts: 81

I just hope this game does not come out in the same source engine we are so used to...

21. yorro

yorro TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

"Best game we've done" is saying a lot specially if you don't normally mention it on your range of award winning games.

22. skitzo_zac

skitzo_zac TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 459

It really is great to see a developer so excited about one of their own games.

But I really don't see this being revered as being better than the classic original Half-Life in the eyes of critics.

23. pipopaz

pipopaz TS Rookie Posts: 70

Portal was indeed a innovative game, can't wait to see the next step called "Best game we've done".

24. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

I have to agree with zac... nothing will ever top the original Half-Life imo

25. Yeah Baby!!! More Cake!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.