Valve will make it easier to create, download Portal 2 test chambers

By Matthew
Oct 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Although Portal 2's witty humor and slick co-op gameplay captivated gamers earlier this year, many players criticized the title's length. Fortunately, Valve has vowed to deliver polished downloadable content (one…

Read the whole story
  2. yorro

yorro TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 243

User created content is always great.
  3. JasAce

JasAce Newcomer, in training

This is GREAT news! Anytime a company allows user made maps or mods to be created, it really extends the length of a game from months to sometime years.

I'm still playing an 11 year old mod from Quake3 called Urban Terror, hehe. So I'm living PROOF! :p
  4. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Valve have allowed you to make Portal 2 maps from before the game was even available to buy so this is a farce. It will allow more people to make crappy, unoptimised content that will lack any of the subtle complexities that can be created with the current tools.

FTL…
  5. StrayEagle

StrayEagle Newcomer, in training

I think your underestimating what valve can do. The tool that they release may be better then the current one for creating maps.

They only said that they were releasing an optimised tool for map creation anyway. You can probably still use the old tool if you want.
  6. I tried out the current tools and my main complaint is the navigation controls.
    As someone who uses Autodesk Maya and ZBrush, I found that navigating through the scene was not intuitive at all.

For example, In Maya
    Roll = Alt+Left click and drag
    Pan = Alt+Middle click and drag
    Zoom = Alt+Right click and drag.

Not to mention the pivoting of the first person camera is very disorienting to me.

Also, I hope they make it easy/possible to import obj files. I couldn't find any plugins to help me with this. I can model/sculpt, UV map and texture in Maya and ZBrush, then import them into the level.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.