TechSpot

Valve working on a Mac-friendly Steam client?

By Matthew
Jan 26, 2010
  1. Valve's digital distribution platform Steam may be on its way to Mac OS X if this next bit of news has any substance. Superannuation found a curious block of text on the LinkedIn page of Valve's Chris Green: "I work for Valve. You should work for Valve. REALLY looking for senior Linux + Mac engineers. Always hiring Senior Engineers, Artists, and Mappers."

Read the whole story

2. VitaminC

VitaminC TS Rookie Posts: 29

I would install steam on my OSX machines if more of the games that were compatible included the tie in with the steam cloud. Moving my save files between WinPCs is annoying enough.

3. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 446

But how does a MAC user use secondary fire? ;-D

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,512   +314

As long as Team Fortress 2 would run I am one happy Man!

5. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Sorry guys but the mac doesn't have the graphical resources to make it worth valves while. Did you know a (non steam) copy of hl2 won't run on a mac due to the graphical limitations. so @burty117 TF2 won't run on a MAC desktop to save the lives of everyone working for apple. It would however run on the Macbook pro as it contains either 1 geforce 9400 or a 9400 and a 9600 in the high end models.

6. VitaminC

VitaminC TS Rookie Posts: 29

7. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 903   +52

OSX has supported 2 button mice since the beginning.

8. Burty117

I was about to say! my brother has a very old Dell Pentium 4 with a Nvidia 5200 AGP card in and that runs TF2 in low res, i'm pretty damn sure a macbook and macbook pro in the last 3 years would happily run it, and the newer desktops even come with proper graphics cards!

9. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

lol, :D .

10. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 446

I think Valve should stop this foolish business and get back to work on Half Life: ep3 or Half Life 3. Whatever they're making.

11. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Probably Left 4 Dead 3...=P

12. Next step: making a native Linux port =)

13. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

14. by holding control key. xD

15. Burty117

Even though I think TF2 on Mac would be awesome! I believe I am holding my breath for HL3 /EP3 which ever they are working on. The entire series have been amazing examples of how games really can be an experience. So what i'm trying to say is. F*** making anything Mac compatible and get on with Half-Life! =)

16. shossofe

shossofe TS Member Posts: 49

You gotta spend money to make money.

I'm not sure how often new Apple Desktops/Laptops come out but the ones that are out right now should be able to run those games just fine. About 1-2 years ago I checked online and they actually had a gaming Mac desktop for sale (3,000 dollars to match my 400 dollar Windows PC >.>) So yeah, Macs can run those games.

Plus, their software division probably has nothing else to do with their time after they fix the bugs that follow their game updates.

I say let the Mac have their fun.

17. Of course that user would use a usb mouse.

18. anguis

anguis TS Rookie Posts: 79

princeton has no idea what he is talking about. I run CoD:MW2 on my 3 year old mac pro desktop. Kid doesn't have a clue.

And even a small increase in sales is worth porting Steam to Mac. Considering Mac OS X is linux based, a further port to Linux (suggested by the twitter for mac AND linux senior engineers) would make sense....

Think about it this way...you are a gamer...naturally, at this point, to play games you will build your own system and install a Windows based operating system...but if Steam (one of the most widely used PC gaming platforms) is fully compatible on Mac, you might be more prone to purchase a Mac, thus increasing Mac's market share as well (perhaps Mac could partner with Steam on this? Who knows.) People who currently own Mac's will be more likely to purchase Steam based games as well.

19. i am tired of people talking about graphical limitations of MAC users. The fact is that Macs are just as good as PCs at gaming. Mac have great hardware and a great OS. the only thing wrong with Mac is the availability of games.

20. unrealmp3

unrealmp3 TS Member Posts: 49

Huh, you can forget me on that.
    I'll continue building my PC, thanks.

And if I really would want to use OSX, I'd build an Hackintosh.

21. Please don't post without knowing what you are talking about, kthx.

22. There also planing for Source 2004 and 2007 support! TF2 here we come!

23. I also saw stuff about Half-Life 2: Episode 3. There will be a episode 3, it is the verry last and it is being wored on.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.