'Vanishing Virus': lkir8l2gm_.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinaya_pande

From vinaya_pande.
My OS is Windows2000 Professional and I have installed NortonSystemWorks 2004. Of late, Norton AntiVirus scans of my Computer have been reporting an Adware virus in the form of a file lkir8l2gm_.dll in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files. However, all efforts of NAV to delete/repair it or add it to quarantine have failed, as the virus is simply not there (i. e. in the folder reported by NAV scan) or elsewhere in the Computer. Manifestly, unless NAV is reporting a non-existent ghostly entity (which it should not), the cunning virus takes on a new name after it is scanned by NAV, to make it difficult (in fact impossibe) to locate and deal with it. I even downloaded a tool that was touted in more than one site as a sure-fire terminator of the virus, but it simply did not work. Although the virus has (apparently) not done any damage to my system so far, I am constantly uneasy with it around, getting the feeling of somebody watching over my shoulder while I am working. Please advise on how to effectively remove it.

Other than 'Java Runtime Environment ...' and 'Update Class' files, you can delete whatever else is in that folder. Boot in Safe Mode, before you do that, and make sure that all hidden and system files are shown as well.

Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back