Vantec tornado question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdole776

i just found out that the vantec tornado runs at like 1 amp. does this mean that i cannot hook the 3 pin connector to my mobo so i can adjust rpms through speedfan?

As long as the connector fits the CPU fan connector on the motherboard, you will be fine

yes, but some people said that, ( if you go to the newegg website for the fan and see some of the reviews) you should never think about hooking this up to the mobo as it will fry it. and its not a cpu fan, it a case fan that runs at like 5700 rpm and alone takes like somewhere around 10 watts of power. and you have to include that it is 1 amp. you see the fan is powered by a molex cable and comes with a 3 pin cable for rpm detection and control. heres the website www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999612. go there and check out some of the reviews. they say not to hook it up to the mobo, i dont know. i just want to make sure i can hook this up to my mobo without frying it. it will be powered by the psu, but the 3 pin connector will connect to the mobo so i can adjust fan speed through speedfan.

heres one of the reviews----Beast
Reviewed By: Skoo on 12/17/2008
Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 day to 1 week
This user purchased this item from Newegg
Pros: This thing moves more air than any of my antec twelve hundred stock fans (sans the "big boy"). At such a small form factor you know the thing is powerful.

Lifetime warranty from Vantec.

Fan guard is a great idea... I've hit my fingers into fans before but they were not running 5800 rpms. Surely it would hurt!

This monster dropped my north bridge temperatures by more than 20ºc. It has completely blew my mind compared to the last north bridge fan I bought that dropped it about 5ºc.

Perfect for my 780i... just needed a few cable ties.
Cons: One amp of current. Ridiculous.. do not even think about hooking it up to your motherboard.

I have to put loudness as a con. This is also pretty dependent on your case as well. With my Antec there are many unsealed ventilation holes as well as the top fan.

No joke it was starting to hurt my head after some time. The rated decibels on this I believe are inaccurate. At full blast they are more like 60-70 decibels.

My case makes enough noise as it is... though the pitch it makes is definitely like a hair dryer.
Other Thoughts: Do you research. Read these reviews. Listen to them and if you still need this amount of cooling you will have to cope with the noise.

I bought a sunbeam fan controller to soften it to just audible over my other fans. It works like a charm, and it still pushes a good amount of air.

This is the end-all to cooling problems if you need a 80mm fan.

It is perfect for over clockers or people with hot motherboards (*cough nvidia chipsets cough*)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back