Various problems... Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Okay well I will try my best to explain everything that is going on with my computer, It is an HP Pavilion a700y series, running Windows XP.

1. I can no longer restart or shutdown my computer without manually doing so. I think this may be due to the following issues:

2. I always receive a "Generic Host Process fro Win32 Services" problem upon startup. The error signature is:

szAppName:svchost.exe szAppVer:5.1.2600.5512 szModName:Unknown
szModVer:0.0.0.0 offset:00000000

Technical Information about this error is:
C:\DOCUME~1\HP_Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5297.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\HP_Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5297.dir00\appcompat.txt

Whenever I try to "debug" or "send error report" my computer freezes and is rendered useless. Therefore I usually just slide this message to the side and continue my work.

3. I also receive a “svchost.exe Application Error” it reads:

The instruction at “0x7c9100e8” referenced memory at “0x00000010”. The memory could not be “read”.

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Whenever I try to "terminiate" or "debug" the program my computer freezes and is rendered useless. Therefore I usually just slide this message to the side and continue my work.

4. I also get a rundll error message:

Error loading c:\windows\system32\makezimu.dll
The specified module could not be found

I can just click OK on the above message and my computer seems to respond OK, that is it doesn’t freeze up like in the aforementioned #2 and #3.

5. Lastly, I get a “Diagnostic Traces” window with the following message:

Diagnositcs activated.
new_DIAGWINDOW(DrvnQ117)
delete_ DIAGWINDOW(DrvnQ117)
new_DIAGWINDOW(DrvmCDB)
delete_ DIAGWINDOW(DrvmCDB)
new_DIAGWINDOW(DrvnCDB)
delete_ DIAGWINDOW(DrvnCDB)
new_DIAGWINDOW(DrvnPPqT)
delete_ DIAGWINDOW(DrvnPPqT)

I don’t know what the heck this message means I usually just close it.

Well, that’s about it. I’d truly appreciate any help you could offer, Thank You.

You have the signs and symptoms of a failing hard drive. Do you have the ability to run a drive fitness test from the manufacturer of the hard drive?

In lieu of that, you will likely need to do a clean install... You might try it on a new hard drive to see how it goes, as you may also have other hardware problems.

Hello raybay,

Well that doesn't sound good at all. I was hoping something was wrong with some registry files that could be fixed.

I do not know what a "drive fitness" test is, so not sure how to answer that question.

When you say clean install, do you mean buying a new hard drive to install?

My computer seems to function okay other than those messages. I can still copy/burn things, use internet, etc.

Get the hard drive brand and model, by looking at the drive, or by doing an inventory with the free Belarc Advisor or Everest.
Then go to the website of the hard drive manufacture and look for their hard drive fitness test... (it may have another name depending on brand), then run the test from online, or download it and run it.
Two benefits result. You get an evaluation of the drive, and you may rule out the drive (but not the install) as the problem.
By clean install, I mean booting to your Windows disk, then removing the partition, reinstalling the partition, and reinstalling Windows.
Of course, you will want to download your BIOS update, and all your drivers to a disk or flash drive so you have all your drivers before you start.
Obviously, you will need all the reinstallation disks to install programs, and the time that it takes.
It takes me 19 hours to totally restore the drive and drivers, and reinstall all the softwae... You may be smarter and faster.

Raybay,

Rest assured, when it comes to this kind of thing your probably "smarter and faster" than I am. Case in point:

I'm going to go ahead and do the fitnes test but in regards to the next steps you lost me...

I don't know how to download a BIOS update or how to download my drivers to a flash drive, I've never done any of this before so it's a bit overwhelming.

I do have my reinstallation disks for Windows XP, don't remember any other reinstallation disks.

Nothing I am suggesting is beyond your capabilities...
You do not need to update the BIOS, normally, but sometimes it is a good thing.
If you have your original install disk set for your computer, it will have the drivers you need to install the chipset, video graphics, ethernet, modem, and whatever else you need, then you can allow Windows Update to update most of them online.
If you do NOT have the install disk set that includes drivers, you should download all of them from the manufacturer's web site before you reformat the drive... so that you have them available when you reinstall Windows.
I would install these drivers in this order as soon as possible after you install Windows:
Chipset drivers (usually just one, two, or three files)
Video graphics so you can see what you are doing.
Ethernet drivers so you can get online.
then
Audio/Sound
Optical Drive
Modem, if you have one
or let your system install them, usually automatically, on line.

It is fun to watch somebody learn some of these things... as we forget that what is fundamental was once very, very difficult for us.
Sometimes it is just plain difficult to type out all the explanations carefully, so it is good to be reminded that we are just *****s at a different level of development.

Of course, there are true experts laying in wait here, but they are still waiting for when they are really needed.

What is important it that you learn what you need to know, and simply ask for help when you meet a blank spot, or when you feel confused. That helps us become a little bit better at posting suggestions for those just a few steps behind.

i am having a similar problem. mi pc says the instruction "0x7c9100e8" referenced memory at "0x00000010". could not be "read". if i click ok my pc reboots or if i click cancel the error comes back in about 12 hrs. WHAT COULD BE WRONG ?? MY PC WORKS FINE AND DANDY FAST AND NORMAL except for the recurring error message 12 hrs. or so.

chrisminix, this is an old thread. Please start you own thread in the Windows OS forum. If the helpers think that malware is involved they will refer you back here at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back