Various Problems with my PC

Hello,

I'm not very knowledgeable about computers, so bear with me. I'm having the following problems and I suspect that they are connected because they all began occurring within the last two days.
1) When starting my pc, it will occasionally act like it is powering on (fans will start, light with come on), but will quickly turn off. It will repeat this process until I turn off the power supply, when I try to turn it on again it starts properly. This has happened twice out of ~10 times I've turned on my computer in the last two days.
2) Windows is crashing/freezing periodically (three times in the last two days).
3) When I tried to boot my computer up Windows couldn't start, and advised me to do some sort of reset. I powered the computer off and tried again and it worked.
My computer has also slowed down a lot over the past 2 months, but I'm not sure if this is connected.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

I couldn't find anyone else with this set of problems and I didn't know how to summarize the issue in the title... Like I said, it's various things. What should I do different?

Could be hardware or could be software or could be both - and it is certainly one of those 3.

Troubleshooting requires careful observation and detailed notes. When a machine crashes the operating system may tell you something. Have you seen a blue screen? Did it go by so fast that you couldn't read it. If so go into BIOS setting and turn OFF "automatic restart on error" - which should give you a change to read the blue screen...and make notes about what is said (stop code, reason, etc). If that doesn't work try downloading and running BlueScreenView - if you have dmp files, it may tell you what is wrong. Google is your friend - if there is a description or term which you do not know, use google (or bing) to look it up. Or, maybe there are 'beeps' happening - how many and how they are spaced can sometimes tell us what it wrong, but that depends on looking it up in the motherboard manual, which you can't do without knowing what motherboard.

Right at the moment, your description makes me think that the problem is drivers, malware, PSU, memory, video card, and, possibly, a failing hard drive or a motherboard issue. If it were all of these, I would say 'junk it', but it isn't likely to be all - so I hope you can narrow it down.

Cycloid Torus
Thanks so much for giving me some next steps to solving the problem. I found some threads of people with only issue (1) where it was a PSU issue. Next time things happen I will try to keep a log of anything I notice and make a better post. For now I have downloaded malwarebytes, which detected three pieces of malware Kaspersky was missing. Overall, your post was really helpful for giving me a next step, which is what I needed.

I think you are getting the idea...you remember when it worked right? So, what changed? - in detail, sounds, display, loading times, hesitations, etc To interpret these, we also need to know about your system...again in some detail...how long have you had it, when was it last cleaned, do you have manuals, can you provide maker's model numbers for major components, etc.

Back