Various Random BSODs Under Vista, 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

raheiser

Hey there, I'd like some advice on the following problem...some facts:

- I'm getting completely random BSODs with this machine under Vista 32 (I thought I would try out 7 to see what happens, but same problems...currently running 7).

- The system will run perfecly fine for about a week (ran for 10 days under 7) but then the BSODs set in with no warning.

- They have all been completely clean installs when the BSODs start.

- Tried swapping video card and RAM, same probs

- The system is at a completely stock config, no overclocking has ever been done.

Here are the system specs...

Core 2 Duo E8400 w/ stock heatsink
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
Seagate Baracuda 7200.10 500 GB
Antec Earthwatts 430w PSU
BFG 8800GT 512mb OC
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 800Mhz 1GB (2)

The attachment system wasn't working for the minidumps so I'll try later. In the meantime, I used WhoCrashed to analyze 8 crashes and found they were likely caused by:

fileinfo.sys
KERNEL MODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED M

ntkrnlpa.exe (2 times)
IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

ntkrnlpa.exe
CACHE MANAGER

ntkrnlpa.exe

ntfs.sys
NTFS FILE SYSTEM

fltmgr.sys (2 times)

Any ideas?? I'm assuming it has to be a hardware problem at this point, but I'm having trouble narrowing it down as I don't have a bunch of spare parts laying around to test...please help!

Yes, your errors are strong indications of a hardware issue but the drivers cited are Window drivers which are too general to be of much help. The one error that catches my attention the most is...

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

I suggest the following:

1. Run chkdsk

2. Go to Seagate's website and download their SeaTools utility for harddrive diagnostics. Run the Long DST.

3. Also, what antivirus, firwall, etc. are you running and do you have any drive-mirroring software installed?

* Get back to us with the results.

Thanks for the response...chkdsk ran fine without problems, as did the Long DST from SeaTools. I don't have any mirroring software installed, and I'm using the stock Windows firewall without any other 3rd party antivirus.

Hmmm, okay then do these next two standard diagnostic steps:

1. Google for NOD32's free online scan and let it scan your system.

2. Run memtest on your RAM for a minimum of 7 Passes (there are 8 individual tests per Pass). www.memtest.org There are sites that try to sell it but the correct website is totally free.

* Again, get back with us with your results.

Okay, then do what mflynn suggests. It could very well be you are infected. get back to us with your results.

Attached are the results of the RSIT program. Just an FYI, I ran it in compatibility mode for Vista, as it wouldn't complete under 7. Just a reminder however, I was having the exact problems under Vista as I am currently under 7.

Ok...

Malwarebytes and avast antivirus ran fine, no infections or errors. However, when I tried to install SUPERAntiSpyware, I got a BSOD right as the installation completed. Attached are my results from Malwarebytes...I'm not sure what the deal is but I can't get the uploader to do my crash dumps, but the analysis from them on WhoCrashed was as follows (both were nearly identical):

This was likely caused by the following module: saskutil.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8CD18E9B, 0x969C1AC8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: \??\C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL.sys

This was likely caused by the following module: saskutil.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x9AB9DE9B, 0xB2B0EAC8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: \??\C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL.sys

I'll have to let mflynn read your attachment but I have found that Avast and SAS can potentially conflict when you first install SAS. Just recently I helped a couple finally get an antivirus and spyware program on their system. They had tons of infections.

Anyway, I installed Avast and then a couple days later SAS. As soon as the latter installed I had all kinds of conflicts. In this case there were three trojans both were trying to deal with at the same time. So I disabled SAS andI used the free NOD32 online scan to do a final clean. And once I rebooted everything was fine.

So, yes, they can conflict. However, I have the Avast/SAS comnbination on two other machines and never had a problem.

Those 0x8E errors are almost always due to haredware issues but sometimes by a driver issue. From what you have shown it is a SUPERantispyware (SAS) driver. I suggest uninstalling and try installing again.

Boot to Safe Mode Networking and try to install SAS!

While still in Safe mode Networking do the below, you can do the ComboFix after SDFix reboots from safe Mode.

Note Since you are running Windows 7 and SDFix will not run under (most) Vistas then it may not run under Win7 so if you have problems just skip SDFix. This may even be the issue with SAS. And Combofix also. So lets see!

Download SDFix to Desktop.

http://downloads.andymanchesta.com/RemovalTools/SDFix.exe

On Desktop run SDdFix It will run (install) then close.

Then reboot into Safe Mode

As the computer starts up, tap the F8 key several times.

On the Boot menu Choose Safe Mode.

Click thu all the prompts to get to desktop.

At Desktop
My Computer C: drive. Double-click to open.

Look for a folder called SD Fix. Double-click to enter SD Fix.

Double-click to RunThis.bat. Type Y to begin.

SD Fix does its job.

When prompted hit the enter key to restart the computer

Your computer will reboot.

On normal restart the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then say Finished,
Hit the Enter key to end the script and load your desktop icons.

Once the desktop is up, the SDFix report will open on screen and also be saved to the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
Attach the Report.txt file to your next post.
=========================================
Download ComboFix

NOTE: If you have had ComboFix more than a few days old delete and re-download.

Get it here: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5587-combofix.html
Or here: http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

Double click combofix.exe follow the prompts.

Install Recovery Console if connected to the Internet!

When finished, it will open a log.
Attach the log and a new HJT log in your next reply.

Note: Do not click combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall.

Mike

Mike (and route44), thanks for your suggestions.

Neither of the programs you listed will run. Combofix gives me an error saying it will only run under 2000 or xp, and sdfix does nothing. Any Ideas? Is it possible that I have a bad motherboard or would that be completely different symptoms? I've already tried using different RAM and a different video card, so I know it can't be those. I'm getting frustrated with this thing! Should I do another clean install of 7 (or Vista) and see what happens?

OK give me until tomorrow to do some testing on my own Win7.

Likely in the morning before I get back.

Mike

Thanks MIke.

Just an FYI; I'm fine with not using 7, I just want to get the system to work. I started with Vista, but installed 7 to see if that would fix my issues, however, since it doesn't, I'm completely fine with switching back to Vista if that's easier to troubleshoot.

And no rush on getting back, I'm out of the country until next Wednesday starting tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help.

Just F.Y.I. raheiser there are a number of people experiencing the same issues you are with Windows 7. You are not alone. :)

Well RSIT thinks it is Win7!!!

Get me a HJT log.

Then tell be what is listed as the OS and Service pack level!

Open a cmd prompt and copy then paste the following line.

slmgr -dlv

Get me the Name:
Description:

Mike

You are not then running Vista but Windows 7!

If you are going to reformat and go back to Vista then we are wasting our time.

Now we may can fix this. So what do you want to do?

Mike

Of course I know that I am running 7 right now, I was just asking if it would be easier to troubleshoot Vista since 7 is still in beta. However, I figured it wouldn't matter because I get the same errors in 7 as I did in Vista. If you're asking though, I'd prefer to keep using 7.

Mike, any updates on the issues? I got back into the country today and can do more testing on the machine if you need me to. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back