Verification of possible driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day,

I have experiencing a bit of trouble with one of our PCs crashing. the machine is brand new HP dc 7900 CMT running XP sp3. I have not witnessed any of the problems directly as the machine is aboard one of my companies ships.

The symptoms that are being described are that the machine has been rebooting every 20.40 minutes. the machine was then turned off overnight and then run continously for 7 hours or so before the same thing happend.

I have asked the crew to cary out various trouble shooting steps including reseating the RAM and sending me copies of the mini-dump files and the system logs, however they are not particularly IT literate am I dont want to ask them to do too much incase it all goes pear shaped.

any how I have taken a look at the mini dump files and it appears to me that a file called diwan.sys may be causing a problem. I believe that this is the driver for the Dialogic Diva ISDN usb modem that we are using onboard. It may be that we can simply get them to update the drivers and that would fix the crashing.

I would be grateful if some one here can take a look over the attahced mini-dump files and advise me if this is the case or not and to point me in the right direction.

Thansk for your help!!

All three errors are 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP and is defined by auhma.org as...

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Im your case it is the driver Diwan.sys that was cited as the probable cause in all three minidumps. I think, as you mentioned, an update for the modem drivers is your next logical step.

Thanks for the confirmation for the error although it does still seem pretty ambiguous!!

Luckily I have an image of the machine with the problems and have installed this image on identical hardware. The crashing is still occurring so I’m guessing that I can rule out hardware issues.

I have managed to obtain a few more mini-dump files from this imaged machine and again i am seeing that diwan.sys along with dimaint.sys is causing problems. I have checked with the device supplier and these versions are all up to date.

in the meant time I will check to see if the a reinstallation of the drivers resolves the problems.

I would be grateful if you can explain to me how you found out that the last mini-dumps that I posted were caused by UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP. I opened the files in WinDbg and all I got from it is that diwan.sys is the probable cause, nothing about kernal mode traps.

Thanks again!!

Don't rule out a bad USB modem. It may be that no matter what drivers are installed if the modem is bad nothing driver wise will work.

As for the WinDbg, it should give you not only the error code but also the name of the error code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back