Verizon class action lawsuit to award free minutes

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s not unusual for large companies to have class action lawsuits brought against them for any number of reasons. Payouts from these settlements, if any, are usually so meager for the users that it’s not worth the time and effort to get involved.  I know I’ve opted out of a few cases myself as it simply wasn’t worth my time.

This time around Verizon Wireless is the unlucky recipient, the result of a recent judgment against them stemming from a domestic roaming dispute. The plaintiffs allege that Verizon failed to provide a specific roaming service under the America’s Choice II Calling Plan. According to the settlement, any current or former customer who, since February 21, 2005, subscribed to this particular calling plan is affected. The settlement benefits are detailed below.

“Current Verizon Wireless customers whose calling plan provides for a specific allowance of minutes as part of their monthly access fee automatically will receive 25 additional wireless calling minutes, which they can use for a period of one year, or, in the alternative, if these class members submit a Claim Form they can receive a transferable PIN for 40 calling units, which will be valid for 24 months, that can be used to make domestic or international long distance calls. Current Verizon Wireless customers whose calling plan provides for an unlimited number of minutes as part of the monthly access fee will automatically, without filing a Claim Form, receive a transferable PIN for 40 calling units, which will be valid for 24 months, that can be used to make domestic or international calls. Former Verizon Wireless customers must submit a Claim Form to receive a transferable PIN for 40 calling units, which will be valid for 24 months, that can be used to make domestic or international calls.”

Please note that a final approval isn’t scheduled until late October, but if you happen to meet the criteria above and are interested in filing a claim form, you can do so now at the official settlement website

Do you plan on submitting a claim for this class action settlement or have you participated in similar litigation in the past? If so, we’d love to hear about your experience, good or bad.

Permalink to story.

How in the world are we supposed to be able to use these? My mobile gives me long-distance, I don't call overseas... and I don't max out my minutes ea month.

Any way to SELL these?

Back