Verizon DSL way too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

14 of a hotdog

we have had verison dsl for 3 years and its going very slow now. its pretty random
i can do a speed test that says 168kbps download and 128 upload but if i do one more a little bit later or even right after i can get something like 111 download and 118 upload. the maximum i have ever seen only lasted a few days it was 720 download. i have been using http://www.speedtest.net/ and sometimes i use http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ to make sure.

with the small amount of information we got from verison tech support i think they said we should be getting at least 800download im not completely sure tho. we have a westel versalink 327w could it be the modem its always pretty hot and we have never replaced it? or could it be that we just get bad service around here?

hum; right now I'm at 5981kps/493kps on Cable, testing to Los Angeles.

try this to test your service (reliability). Get a command prompt (run->cmd) and
enter pathping www.google.com
it will take a few minutes to complete, but it will show you where data gets lost and
where the slow links are located (between you and google)

There really should not be any lost packets, but it does happen -- but should also
be few, 2-4%. Losses above 10% are terrible!

Notice that losses can occur (a)Between nodes (saying the link is bad) OR losses can
be (b)At a node (saying that router or system is overloaded).

here's a sample
Code:
  3   15ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  gig11-13.vntrca1-rtr1.socal.rr.com  [76.167.3.77]
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  4   26ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  tge9-3.lamdca1-swt1.socal.rr.com  [76.167.2.52]
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  5  [COLOR="Red"]---     100/ 100 =100%   100/ 100 =100% [/COLOR] tge4-0-0.lsanca1-rtr1.socal.rr.com [76.167.2.56]
                                [COLOR="Blue"]0/ 100 =  0%   |[/COLOR]
  6   29ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  ae-3-0.cr0.lax00.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.66]
Notice node 5 has no timings and 100% loss (in actuality, the reply timed out but the packet obviously made to node 6 and beyond)
and is an example of (b) losses.
Type (a) losses would be located where I've shown the link in blue

You should also be aware that the remote system you are contacting plays a significant part here --
as in the "weakest link in a chain". The slowest link determines the through-put limits.

Most of the major IP's like Internet Frog as a standard test. Once you have that, I would give Verizon tech support a call, because they can run some tests that will sav you some time. Also look at your contract to see if it allows them to drop down below 750 KBPS. You want a contract that limits them to a minimum of 1.5 mbps, 4.0 mbps, or 11 mbps... if they can provide that in your area.

Many communities do not have a superstruction to provide real high speed to all locations, and some, like Verison, make you really pay for the very fast..

Clearly there is a problem somewhere along the Verizon cable.
Good work. Get on the phone with a good tech. Ask him/her where they are located.
Let them you know a bit about what your problem is. They will respect that.

Thanks a lot you have both been very helpful i will have to call them. I'm so glad to know what the problem is.

thanks for all the great help!

This is what I get from cable -
12513500970.jpg

¼ of a hotdog said:
Thanks a lot you have both been very helpful i will have to call them. I'm so glad to know what the problem is.

thanks for all the great help!

I have this image I had designed here on techspot..
dsl.jpg

The above makes the DSL experience better..

Ok, now check your connection again with Internet Frog.
Looks like the problem may be a hardware issue on your end if you again get a slow response.

NetCablesPlus said:
Tipstir, do you see any difference in your cable performance at different times of day or does it seem to be consistent?

They're laying down fiber in my area.. I am still on the old copper lines.. But I just got the DLINK DIR-655 A3/1.11 last month. My speed prior was less as the older wired router wasn't that strong. In 11/07 I max out at 43,000 down and 800 up when I had WRZ2-G300 Wireless N Router from Buffalo. I haven't seen that again.So I can't seem to get pass the 25,000 mark, but the uploads are near to what I am suppose to get at 2MB/s. I am on a 20MB/s down and 2MB/s up with that power boost feature.

Old network setup (DI-604 clone wired router with WHR-HP-G54 WAP)
36010521885.jpg

new network setup (DIR-655 A3/1.11)
15102233698.jpg

This is my network closet (basement family room) all the wiring (power, Ethernet and RG6 Ultra shield coax cable) are not touching each other to cut down on EMI/EMF helps boost the speed in the LAN/WAN.

Then I got 2 additional these netgear 8-port switches on different floors in the house..

My experience is that DSL, depending on where you live, gets different speeds on the same package from your chosen ISP.
I particularly despise DSL for that reason... however sometimes it's the best you can get.

What might have happened, is that your phone company / ISP people re-routed the traffic, so that you are farther away from your local "node" or what ever you want to call their stations in which they dish out this crappy service from.

Are you noticing a performance difference or just a speed test difference?

EDIT: Well looks like you know that the problem is with them...
I'd check to make sure that you have a good connection to the street, and make sure that the DSL modem you have is hooked up to a line which has not been split (there's one line from the street usually, and it gets split to all the different jacks in the house... so make sure the DSL modem is on the FIRST split if possible... i dunno if it'll help... but it sure helps with Cable internet services, so maybe it'll help... just a theory...)

Tipstir, cool set up. I see my cable modem speeds change quite a bit during the course of a day. I have always attributed it to a few neighbors being online or not (it often is much slower when folks are likely home and online.)

That's another thing I think i forgot to mention, as NetCablesPlus said, it's possible you have more people on your part of the network lately, so therefore you have slower speeds cause more people are using the same size line as before.

And with Verizon DSL, I wouldn't put it past them to put too many people on the same line so that you get crappy bandwidth.

NetCablesPlus said:
Tipstir, cool set up. I see my cable modem speeds change quite a bit during the course of a day. I have always attributed it to a few neighbors being online or not (it often is much slower when folks are likely home and online.)

Thanks, that stuff you see keeps cool also! Depends on how many are using Cable crowded connections, but fiber and some other equipment enhancements should solve those issues. I am luckly the only thing I have to worry about is wireless with crowded band. But so far don't see to many real issues. Bandwidth seems strong. The ISP likes to throttle down the speed. DSL was always had issues.

pyromaster114 said:
That's another thing I think i forgot to mention, as NetCablesPlus said, it's possible you have more people on your part of the network lately, so therefore you have slower speeds cause more people are using the same size line as before.

And with Verizon DSL, I wouldn't put it past them to put too many people on the same line so that you get crappy bandwidth.

fiber should solve that I don't know how VDSL runs it but SBC Yahoo DSL now ATT Yahoo DSL works a bit differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back