Verizon FiOS app to bring 26 live channels to Xbox 360

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft is making good on their promise to deliver live streaming television to the Xbox 360. Starting in December, Verizon FiOS customers will be able to stream 26 live channels directly to their gaming console. The news comes courtesy of a Verizon press statement released earlier today.

Once live, Verizon customers will need to download a standalone app on the Xbox to access channels. Users will be able to utilize Microsoft’s Kinect accessory to control channel surfing through voice and gesture commands. The 26 channels will be available to all Verizon customers who are subscribed to cable and Internet service through the provider. Users will need an Xbox Live Gold membership as well. It's worth mentioning that since you are required to have Verizon cable service already, you won't actually be getting anything new. It's simply an alternate delivery method for service you already pay for.

Microsoft has been working to bring cable television to the Xbox for over a year now, essentially turning the gaming console into a cable box / streaming video service. Today’s deal is the first of what is likely to be other similar deals announced in the near future from other service providers like Comcast and others.

New users can take advantage of a limited-time offer which includes FiOS TV, FiOS 35/35 Mbps Internet service and Verizon voice service starting at $89.99. To sweeten the deal, they are also including a free 12-month Gold membership and a copy of Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary edition. The offer is good through January 21, 2012.

Permalink to story.

So.......which channels will be offered? If they're all different versions of the Shopping Channel, then who cares?

Oh wow 26 channels for $89.99 I thought the xbox could do more guess not well atleast I still have a browser to get free movies and watch things like etc for free, why pay for useless stuff when you can get better for free :D

you didnt read the article mr guest -_-

its not $89.99 for 26 channels to be streamed on the 360. its verizon's service. sign up for verizon for tv, phone, and internet for $89.99. sounds like a good deal.

you dont pay for anything if you already have xbox live and verizon's tv and internet service. just download the app thing.

they say they working with more cable providers to bring more options.

the only reason i'd probably use this if i dont have a cable set top box already hooked up to that tv, or a pc, or some other device.

Leave it to Microsoft to try and stick it to their customers, time and time again. I'm a Netflix member paying my Netflix fees, but to use it through XBOX, I'm required to join Microsoft's XBOX Live Gold membership or I can't use Netflix at all.

Now here is the same scenario with Verizon Fios with their 26 channels. I'm already a Verizon FioS customer paying my Verizon FioS fees, but to get this service via XBOX I need to join XBOX Live Gold and pay money to Microsoft as well....Screw that! That's like watching a program on a Samsung TV and then having to pay Samsung for using their device because their TV offers apps and stuff.

This is why Playstation is (and will always be) my console of choice.

Well I am a Verizon FIOS customer and currently get 1900 channels so why would I use my Xbox to be limited to just 26 when the HD Box gives me 400 HD channels and 1500 digital channels??

Internet speeds for my package are advertised at 35/35 but after repeated tests on a daily basis at all times of the day the actual speeds I am getting are 42Mbs down and 38Mbs upload.

Gamesinner "You can have Netflix for free on PS3. Nobody is requiring you to use your Xbox to watch Netflix".

Yes, I'm aware of this. I'm just bashing Microsoft and their greedy ways :)

You can't have Netflix for free on any device. You nee to pay $8 to Netflix.

Back