Verizon FIOS & Linksys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryanAU

I have an older laptop (Dell Latitude 5150) with an external Linksys USB wireless adapter. My parents recently purchased the Verizon FIOS wiress router and it has screwed up everything. When i install the Linksys USB adapter on my laptop it doesn't pick up the Verizon FIOS router's name or anything at all. When I plug the old Linksys router into the Verizon one the laptop picks it up but only gets sent the packets and rarely or never recieves them.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this issue?

first WIRE a system to the router wired as
Code:
verison FIOS --modem--- router --- any system
this has to work before you can reconfig WiFi

If your setup is like what I've seen around here, you don't even need a modem. You probably just have a router. The 'modem' is outside of your home. Everything involving your WAN port should be done through DHCP.

When i install the Linksys USB adapter on my laptop it doesn't pick up the Verizon FIOS router's name or anything at all.

Did they include setup instructions or connection information? The SSID could be hidden (although unlikely) if the Verizon tech set it up that way.

I think the first thing we should do here is check your router. If the router was installed by a technician, you should call them or consult your documentation regarding how to login to the router and make changes. If it was installed by someone like your parents who just 'plugged it in and it worked', it might need some configuration. You can enter the Verizon router web setup by typing 192.168.0.1 in your internet browser on the computer that is plugged in (sometimes 192.168.1.1, and very seldom something else). The user name and password could be anything, but here are the default user/passes. Ensure wireless is enabled and SSID broadcasting is on. Also make sure your router is broadcasting via the 2.4Ghz spectrum (not 5.8Ghz) using 802.11b/g. And of course, name your network to something intuitive... reboot... It really SHOULD working at this point.

When I plug the old Linksys router into the Verizon one the laptop picks it up but only gets sent the packets and rarely or never recieves them.
Using two routers like these on the same network without being properly configured to do so will cause lots of odd behaviors. This is certainly one of them.

A side note... You should be able to use the Linksys on its own if you replace the Verizon router (not both at the same time though). You may need to configure your Linksys router to use DHCP though, using the web setup (192.168.1.1).

The last one I fixed would only work on 1 MAC address

This way they get you to pay for networking ( or as they put it additional IP addresses). If you configure router to clone MAC address of office pc then the modem will give it (router) an IP address. That makes the router the gateway. Turn on DHCP server in router It will hand out the IP's to the wireless as well as the wired units. Be sure to use some level of security on your wireless - even if it's just a shared key 64bit wep and turning of broadcast ssid. You don't want to become a free internet provider.

Bets of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back