Verizon makes its case against the FCC's Net neutrality rules

By Leeky
Jul 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Verizon made a clear stance against the Federal Communications Commission's new net neutrality rules, filing a legal brief with the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, Washington claiming that the new rules exceed the regulator's authority and even……

Read more
  2. aspleme

aspleme TS Enthusiast Posts: 56

Freedom of speech is a right of individuals, not corporations.
  3. Am I going crazy or is Verizon trying to use the First Amendment to enable the corporation to control communication... I thought that amendment pertained to the freedom of speech not the restriction of it.

They may have a case with regards to their infrastructure but bringing up the First Amendment looks like a red herring to me.
  4. Mantrhax

Mantrhax TS Rookie Posts: 36

Verizon defending their right to screw the consumers anytime anywhere. First Amendment ueahueh yeah sure.. let the company speak !
  5. yes, but (quite unfortunately) corparations have many of the rights of individuals with almost none of the conscience of them. think of corporations as sociopaths.
  6. Well, considering that in the Unsane States of America corporations are people, of course they can sue for alleged infringement of their first amendment rights. And being a corporation, the courts will naturally favor Verizon because they have lots of the only thing that was ever important, money.
  7. h4expo

h4expo TS Enthusiast Posts: 43

Though an unprincipled people could be perceived as being weak with no economical infrastructure. Hence corporations with god a complex. Thinking they are entitled to things they are not.
  8. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Not according to the Republican-appointed majority on the U.S. Supreme Court. Meh.
  9. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Dang - my quote of @Aspleme, saying freedom of speech was for individuals not corporations, didn't come through.

Unfortunately, the constitution says whatever the Corporate Supremes now running the highest bench say it does. No matter what the founders who wrote the Bill of Rights intended. Face it, you poor Americans, corporations now own your government openly.

"Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism as it is a merge of state and corporate power."
    - Benito Mussolini, cribbing from Italian theorist Giovanni Gentile
  10. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

In the big picture, Verizon will fail in the suit. They just are not big enough to threaten the US govt. They can TRY and claim a first amendment violation, but they have to PROVE there was the intent to violate. Not just thier skew or slant on it.